Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to realign the dome

Options
Trouble
Trouble Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Remember now, I am the "little lady," so talk to me like I'm four when you write about nuts and bolts, please.[p]I just replaced the gasket. Now, when I close the lid, the back by the hinges makes contact too early, the front doesn't quite close all the way and the whole dome appears to be sitting too far back. By maybe as much as 3/8".[p]How to correct?[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Caney
    Caney Posts: 36
    Options
    Trouble,[p]Make sure the little nipple on the band is in the alighment hole. I would loosen all the bolts finger tight and sit the top and bottom where they are alighened to a perfect seal, then tighten each alternately.[p]Hope this helps,
    Caney[p]

• Caney
    Caney Posts: 36
    Options
    Trouble,[p]I know, sorry bout the spellin.[p]Caney

• Greendriver
    Options
    Trouble,[p]I don't know if Caney helped or not but I wuz just sitting here thinking bout the fact that I know I couldn't be much help there at all...the last time I put a gasket on one of mine, I took the top off to do it and me and it fought like crazy and I finally got it back on but it was very evident I wasn't using the right technique. So I hope you get a lot of answers, maybe I'll learn something. Now the other thing I wuz just wondering about wuz - whether all the otherwise helpful folks here a being a little hesitant about responding to "Trouble" today maybe thinking they might get in "Trouble" with "Trouble" again.
  • Trouble
    Options
    Caney,
    Are you talking about the bolts on the band (I'm assuming so since there is concern about alignment)? Do I have to loosen anything on the hinge?[p]Thanks very much for the help.

• Trouble
    Options
    Caney,
    Thanks. I got it. For some reason, I thought I'd be messing with the hinge assembly.[p]I forgot that the bands control all that alignment stuff. So I loosened both bands just enough to be able to wiggle the top into place. And, as you recommended and I now remember from initial setup, tightened them alternately. All better and thank you again.[p]Joyce

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Trouble,
    Give yourself a cheap insurance policy if you haven't already. After you have snugged the nuts tightly until the bolts bend a tad go to a hardware and buy an extra set of stainless steel nuts and then tighten those down behind the others. The double nut solution will assure you that they won't work loose in time. A broken dome is a sad sight!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Double nut each band to keep them from loosening.[p]
  • Trouble
    Options
    RRP,
    I had never heard of "double-nutting" [p]If there is any risk to the dome and that will help prevent it, I'll be at the hardware store again this weekend.[p]Thanks, guys.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Trouble,
    that's just an old time solution -only God knows when it started. If you really want to be even more secure for just a few pennies more get the stainless steel self locking nuts which have a nylon insert. While those don't need to be double nutted and can stand by themselves it will just give you that much more security. Again - I'm just talking very little cost.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.