Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Online Source for Ramps?

Options
loco_engr
loco_engr Posts: 5,765
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have tried this sauce recipe a few times with various mushrooms and would love to try it with ramps:

http://www.theonlyhossbbq.com/recipes/

Anybody have an url for a source for ramps?

Thanks!

Made it once with fresh morels and has got to be one of the best things I have tasted! Dayum! :woohoo:
aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I've seen garlic scallions at local farmers markets. I'm betting that is the same thing, and they choose that wording for sales purposes.
    Does a one horse town have farmers markets?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I could build you a set outta scrap 2x4's and plywood but the shipping would be KILLER! :laugh: ;) Sorry,I have no idea what the ramps you are talking about are. :huh: :blush:
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Molly Molly . . . this one horse town does have a few farmers show up for a "market" but from my reading they
    start out in the Applilation (Sp) Mts in April and in Mich in May. Also called Wild Leeks.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    Options
    LOL Thanks Hossman . . . have some more Apple Pie! :woohoo:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    B) If i run across any of those things Molly posted,I'll pick em and send em to ya. :)
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Lovenbrau
    Lovenbrau Posts: 307
    Options
    When I went to college in WVA they had "ramp" fests, and they would have to keep school age kids out of school that eat them because of the smell.
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Yeah . . . emailed them yesterday about pre-orders, nothing :(
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I can bring you some to OKC, if you wish.
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Sure! That'll be great!! Thank You!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    If these are what you're looking for, I can send you some in May if you'd like. I sent some to RichardFl last year. Be warned, they are not for the faint of heart...
    109-0995_IMG.jpg
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    For many years I ran a boat

This Boat4943160380_0f7aef508c.jpg
    PB140045 (2) by Capt Frank1, on Flickr

That was owned by a coal company in Charleston, WV. Every year when we were in town the owner would have a least one ramp party on board for a hundred or so of his cronies. The entire boat would stink for a week. If you eat ramps the odor will literally come through your pores and you will stink.
    They are delicios, especially with country ham and Jack Daniels, a lot of Jack Daniels :ohmy: :P :laugh:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    And they were great, but strong flavor as already mentioned. Want to trade some onions for spices?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Richard,

How are you sitting on smoking wood? more specifically fruit wood
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You have mail.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Rich - where & when did you go to college in WV? I went to WVU from '91-96...
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    oh wow... reading this brought back soooo many memories of my youth & family - my relations on my Mother's side live literally on the Mason-Dixon line, and their property borders a State park called the Mason-Dixon Historical Park & for many years, they would hold a "ramp festival" at that park - they had incredibly delicious foods cooked & seasoned w/ ramps (steaks, stews, etc), but the one thing my Aunt made that to this day I cannot stomach is - ramp wine!!! :sick:

Yes, I said wine - she would make this wine out of ramps, and it tasted as bad as it sounds...

Anyway, thanks for prompting a wonderful trip down memory lane for me!!!

Oh, and ramps are very flavorful if you're in an area where you can get them...
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Lovenbrau
    Options
    I went to Davis and Elkins 79-81 and Alderson Broaddus from 81-85. Spent several months at WVU hospital on trauma/joint replacement rotation.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    wow, that's cool - so now where in NC do you live? I have a very good friend from HS who now lives in Wilmington.

And NC is in the top 3 of the places I want to move to after I leave CA (can't afford to stay here & retire, and the politics of the State are KILLING it for everyone who's not an illegal alien - but that's a discussion for another time)...

Anyway, point is - NC, either around Wilmington area, or RTP, or Charlotte - are places I've been scouting jobs to see what's out there...
  • Lovenbrau
    Options
    I live in Chocowinity, work in Washington, NC. That is about 2 hours north of Wilmington on rt 17. 1 1/2 hours east of Raliegh, on the Pamilco river.