Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

this weekends rib roast

Options
c tredwell
c tredwell Posts: 575
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Alright, so I've done some forum research, so i have evoo, rosemary, garlic, cracked pepper, sea salt on the roast all food-savered up..

primerib001.jpg
primerib002.jpg
I'm going to sear it on the small, then knock temp down to round 300 for 1.5-2 hrs with cherry, looking for 140F internal.....drip pan with some broth....am I not thinking of something? Missing a step, got my temp wrong? :ermm: This will be my first one....granted, it's for my f-i-l b-day, but I dont want to screw it up 2 bad because of the cost! :woohoo:

This is what I found for him---1978 seal un-broken 100 month aged Jim Beam blue gill decanter! My math says about 40 years old... :blink: Can't wait to bust into that! B)

primerib.jpg

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Chris,

Buddy, just do it at 250* and sear at the end if you need it man. Trust me here :) Almost no chance for cook error ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Chris, nice hunk of meat you got there. What LS said, I tried both 300+ and 250, the lower temp cook wins hands down ...better texture and more tender. Remember the photos!
    Gary
    canuckland
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Tax $$ come in Chris? :whistle:
    That'll be a great celebration!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Chris,
    I have cooked a standing rib roast both ways and each was tasty, I like slow cook start (250-275) and sear at the end because I also make Yorkshire pudding with the drippings and the pudding needs to cook at 425.
    Whichever way you decide it will be good, just don't over cook it. Remember pan for drippings and bone side down.
    If you plan to serve the roast to a group remove the meat from the rack. It makes carving at the table a lot easier and the bones becomes the cook's treat.
    Don't forget the horsey sauce either.
    And what time is supper?
    Joan
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    To Steven.250(indirect) til it hits desired temp.NO sear.It is a Rib Roast,not a steak,no sear needed,besides it will just burn the stuff you have put on the outside.Personally,I would pull at NO MORE than 125 Internal.It will rise during the 30 minute rest.If some people like theirs more done you can throw their slice back on for a few minutes,but please don't overcook that beautiful hunk-o-meat. ;):) Best of luck!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    I agree You get more browning and maillard reaction by roasting than by searing

Searing will burn fat, and that's never good.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Lovenbrau
    Lovenbrau Posts: 307
    Options
    You have heard from the pro's, I have not tried the low cook with reverse sear. What I have done with great success is get the egg to 500, indirect. Place the meat on and get it back to 500. Then cap the top and close the bottom until it reaches 350. Cook at 350, 20 min per pound or until desired internal temp, and let it rest. Hard to mess it up, the egg is very forgiving.
  • c tredwell
    Options
    Thanks for all the input y'all! ;) 275F till 125 internal it is-sear at the end. I will bring my camera to post pics, as we'll be at the lake this weekend. Dinner is 7p, whiskey starts 'round 3.. :laugh:

Uncle sam has screwed me blue this year Molly! :pinch: But as father-in-laws go, he's worth it......I guess.... :huh: He has ponied up bout 6gs this year for school tuition for the kids....

This one is boneless...broth in drip pan should make for a good au jus though....horsey sauce is a must!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Have ton of fun!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • c tredwell
    Options
    Fun in the sun! Supposed to be in the '80's in Ga this weekend B)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Richard,
    I checked my recipe notebook and I have a few corrections to my last night’s post. I do start out low and slow (about 275 when meat goes on, temp drops and stays around 250) and sear at the end, but never take the meat past 375. Actually, according to my notes, I pull the meat when Egg temp gets between 365 and 375. I learned to cook by looks, feel, smell and time, so I don’t have internal temps to give you. In fact, I just bought Egg Temp probe for information purposes and now I find myself contemplating buying a wireless system.

Also my drip pan stands proud of the place setter because I want that fat for the pudding.

Here is the recipe for Yorkshire pudding (aka popovers)
    1/2 teaspoon salt (taste the fat and decrease if necessary)
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1 cup of flour
    4 tablespoons oil_
    Mix (blender or by hand) the first 4 ingredients and set in frig for at least 1 hr (2hr even better)

Use either an 8x8 square metal pan, a popover pan or large muffin pan add the fat to pan. Place pan in oven and heat oven to 450.
    When oven comes to temp pour in the cold batter.
    Cook until golden brown about 20 to 30 minutes. (oven=Egg and I make sure the pan is good and hot before adding the batter)

Sorry about the missing info on the first post. I will bring the wine.
    Joan
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx