Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lamb shank update

Options
Austin  Egghead
Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Rubbed meat liberally with olive oil and New Zealand Lamb Rub. Let sit at RT for 30 minutes.
Egg at 350 and browned all sides. (about 15 minutes)
Reduced temp on egg to 285-300 put shank in pie plate and cooked for 2 hrs.
At the end of 2 hr. wrapped leg and juices in foil and cooked for another 45 minutes (about).
Pulled the shank when temp registered 154.

Tasted good. Hubby requested this cook again.

The next time, I think I will add 1 C red wine, garlic cloves, rosemary, and whole onion at the end of 2nd hour.

Herbs in the New Zealand Lamb Rub: spearament, lemon peel, salt, fructose, sesame seed, black pepper, basil and other spices

Shank at end 2 hours
5531082242_3c6e75e3f0.jpg
Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Looks great, Joan.

I put 2 shanks in the freezer for a future cook. I have been wanting to cook shanks ever since we returned from Greece in early November, where I had two fantastic shank dinners at local restaurants!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Looks like a Lollipop! :) YUM!
  • Hoss
    Options
    2.....Are you plannin a "Me ONLY" cook?! :laugh: You need at LEAST a dozen. ;)
  • Vincent Chase
    Options
    That seriously looks great! Nice work!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Great looking meal. luv lamb. Here is a marinade that I like. Also, I sometimes add some zaatar, mediterrean easoning, to this marinade and also sprinkle over the lamb before cooking.

Marinade, Lamb, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Cup Italian Salad Dressing
    4-6 Cloves Garlic, Whole
    1/3 Cup Sweet or Red Onion, Diced
    1/3 Cup Rosemary, Fresh Leaves
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
    1 Pinch Sea Salt
    1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Lemon, Juice From
    Fresh Mint leaves, ( Optional )
    1/4 Cup Soy Sauce, ( Optional )

Preparation:
    1 Place all in blender and puree. Place meat in ziploc bag and marinate for 4-6 hours, overnight is OK but be careful after 12 hours as the lemon juice has a tendency to "COOK" the meat.
    2 This works well for lamb kabobs, legs, rack or shoulders and shanks.
    3 Soy sauce may be added for optional flavor.,
    4 If doing shanks, like to cut into 1 1/2-2 inch pieces as this tends to reduce the cooking time.
    5 Save the rosemary twigs for smoke!

Recipe Type
    Marinade

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2001/05/25
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    that looks great. nice job... agreed it does look like a lollipop
    context is important :)
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Very nice!
    Looks tender and tasty ;)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Thanks everyone. :cheer:
    Yes it does look like a lollipop (albeit a lot tastier). The bone was “frenched” which allowed the meat to ride up the bone during cooking.
    It wasn’t an “only me cook” both of us got our fair share and I didn’t want to waste the others on an experiment.
    Thanks for the marinade recipe Richard, I will use it on the next bunch I cook (yes I said bunch Hoss).
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Joan,
    Can you share a technique (or You Tube link) for Frenching the shank?
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Looks very tasty
    And it comes with it's own handle :laugh:

Shane
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Joan,

It looks like it came out very well. I'll post pics of mine on the weekend.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Nice cook!

It is hard to beat a nice lamb shank. It is also hard to stay away from braizing in some forrm or another. B)

I may have to try frenching next time.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Bob,

I bought six last weekend am trying two low and slow and tajine the rest. I agree on the braise because it adds so many flavours that a straight cook wouldn't.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BobS
    Options
    Little Steven wrote:
    Bob,

I bought six last weekend am trying two low and slow and tajine the rest. I agree on the braise because it adds so many flavours that a straight cook wouldn't.

Steve

Steve,

I will be interested in the lo-n-slo results.

Beside the cool toy factor, is a tangine really worth it? For me it is just a fancy braizing tool and I have doubts I could tell the difference.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Bob,

The jury is still out on the tajine. I received it as a gift and have tried several cooks. My normal braise would be in an ECDO with the lid off or partly on. Each time I have done the tajine I have ended up with more liquid than I would have expected. The lamb shanks were excellent and thoroughly flavoured with the braise ingredients. I think there is something there but still need to nail it down. There may be an element of pressure cooking in there. I will certainly post pics on Saturday.
    Here is the way I did the last ones
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=730467&catid=1

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BobS
    Options
    Steve, I remember that post. It looked great.

Gifts are always good. I think I will wait to see if I get one.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Actually the butcher offered to french them and I never turn down a butcher's offer. Here is a your tube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD0UCd-IeZY.
    The background noise, oops I think they call that music, will drive you crazy.
    Make sure your knife is nice and sharp.
    I found a recipe by Ann Bruell (sp?) at the Food Network, it is a braising method and should adapt well to egg cooking. I might try to combine my method and hers on the next cook.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks, Joan !
  • Hoss
    Options
    A.E. That comment was meant for Misippi Egger,you must be viewing in flat.If you knew Clark,you would know that two little lambshanks would only TEASE him! :laugh: :)