Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Corned beef crock pot help

Options
Boilermaker Ben
Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Turns out after years of owning a crock pot, I've only ever used it to keep cooked food hot...I've never actually COOKED in one. I've got a mess of corned beef that I'm going to take to work tomorrow to make corned beef and cabbage. I'll be cooking the beef tonight, and prepping the veggies. My plan is to take everything to work, set up the crock pot, start with the potatoes and carrots, etc., then add the cabbage, and lastly, add the sliced corned beef just long enough to heat it.

Should I plan on the veggies taking slightly longer to cook in the crockpot than if I had them simmering in a pot on the stove?

Comments

• Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    Options
    Not knowing how long it will be between getting to work and wanting to eat, you might consider 'nuking' the potatoes and carrots a little bit before putting them in the crockpot. Certantly don't want to have undercooked veggies when its time to serve, and you can always put the crock on low if they get done too soon. Jer
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i think i would cook the hard veggies the night before, reheat everything and add the cabbage at work
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Crockpots can take a good while to come up to heat. I happened to time one of mine over the weekend, and just bringing water hot from the tap to 190 took close to 2.5 hours. And when I put in 6 'taters, quartered, it dropped the 1/2 filled pot to 143. On a stove, the heat could have come up a lot faster.
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    When working days, I'd put in frozen turkey legs, thighs, chicken, along with veggies. 12 hrs later, on low, they were done. I wouldn't do the veggies in there as they'd fall apart. Give the meat a good 12 hrs. on low.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Why not start all the vegs at home then keep them hot in the crockpot. Some newer crockpots do have a high heat setting that come up to simmer quickly. My old one does not, only good for overnite cooks while camping.