Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Xl plate setter???

Hoss's BBQ
Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a new xl plate setter last fal used it once with the legs down. Saturday night i used it legs up. It didnt seem to fit right at all i tried closing the lid and it was snug. Next when i open the lid a put a pizza on. wen closing it seem tight again. after the second pizzas the plate setter snapped a leg. I never had this problem before with my other plate setter. I actually had it break because a friend bumped it over. is anyone else having problems with the newer plate setters on older model xl's?? Hoss

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Now that you mention it I lent mine to a friend who has the old XL model when we finished I noticed one leg was broken we blamed the maid who washed it & cleaned up never realized that the model difference could be a factor. I got a new plate setter now. Interesting to know what others have to say
  • Hoss's BBQ
    i remember it being snug when i did the one cook feet down but remember blowing it off. Hoss
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Just a piece of the leg came off, i remember it was on the side of the leg facing the egg wall.
  • Hoss's BBQ
    My leg got a fracture across the top of the plate where it meets the leg and then broke with a pizza on the egg. Oh and 18 people over for smoked pizzas for my birthday. I was Pissed!! Hoss
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Ken, when the new style platesetter was released there was also a change in the firebox and ring to allow for the deeper platesetter. I am not sure the new style was made to fit in the old "innards"
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    I can look at it Sunday to try to figure out what you have there.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Crimsongator is right.
    The new style Egg has a shorter fire box giving extra room for the new platesetter.
    Also the new fire ring for the XL has notches made for the platesetter to rest in giving more clearance if needed.
    They are not interchangeable but it's easy to sand the legs down just a little with a belt sander.
    But would still call Atlanta for help first.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas