Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Butt Chicken or some other delicious recipe? Ideas Requested

sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]I went to the store yesterday and reloaded on Lump, was out for a few days but now I'm back. I plan on cooking a whole chicken tonight but am torn on what to do. Ideas? I'm kinda in the mood for a beer butt chicken but if anyone else has any ideas I'm all ears.[p]Troy

Comments

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    sprinter,
    Have you ever used an injector? I put my chicken on a vetical. Prior to that I inject the chicken with butter mixed with lemon juice, garlic and then salt pepper.
    Put it on the humpty and cook at 255 slow for about 2 hours.

• sprinter
    Chief,[p]Since I've gotten the egg I've sort of gotten away from the injector and moved to rubs and brining things. I do occasionally use the injector on some boneless skinless chicken breasts that get cooked fast, it seems to add a bit of flavor to those since the grill can only add so much in such a short time. But for the most part I let the grill and the smoke take care of as much of the flavor as I can. That sounds like a pretty good mixture to inject a bird with though. Thanks for the ideas, so many of them to try, so little time.[p]Troy
  • Chief
    sprinter,[p]How do you brine and what does it do for the chicken?

• sprinter
    Chief,[p]Anyone else want a shot at this one?[p]We could write essays on brining, I've included a link about brining a turkey, there are other links that people could post as well regarding brining meat in general.[p]Essentially brining is putting the meat in a mixture of salt and water and spices and letting it soak for a day or so. It adds flavor and moisture to the meat. Take a look at the recipe section, there's a recipe for Brants Brined Chicken that also has some more information on the subject and a pretty good "tutorial" on how its done.[p]If you've not tried to brine a chicken, I would recommend that you try it. I've brined pork loin also and it comes out wonderfully tender and flavorful. Hope this helps.[p]Troy

[ul][li][url=http://x21.deja.com/[ST_rn=if]/getdoc.xp?AN=551034924&CONTEXT=943281945.2143223815&hitnum=1]Brining a Turkey[/url][/ul]
  • Chief
    sprinter,
    This I shall try.....sounds alot like what I do to pork.
    Marinate in beer for 1 day then season with garlic and lowery salt wrap it up for about 8 hrs...smoke it and glaze with molases, brown sugar and Jack Daniels

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    sprinter,
    I've brined a venison roast that turned out GREAT! No wild/gamey taste. And it was tender! Well, tender for venison.[p]This weekend, i've been considering trying Mr. Toad's pork loin, but I plan on brinning first. It should be great![p]B~F

• Sandi
    Sandi Posts: 107
    sprinter,[p]Could you give me some direction on brining a pork tenderloin?
  • sprinter
    Sandi,[p]I've never brined a pork tenderloin but I HAVE brined a pork loin. In fact, I've never even cooked a tenderloin, shame on me. From what I understand its a pretty tender and flavorful piece of meat all by itself, not sure if it would benefit from brining at all. Others will have to help out here.[p]In terms of a Pork LOIN, I use a mixture of about a half gallon of water, a half cup of salt, half cup of brown sugar, quarter cup of molasses, then some various herbs and spices. Boil everything in the water and cool it WELL. Place the loin in the brine and fill the pot to cover the loin completely. Let it sit for a day or so, then cook it as normal with whatever rub you want or cook it plain. Makes for a pretty tasty pork loin.[p]Troy
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Sandi,[p]Here's a great article from the SF Chronicle.[p]Cathy
  • Cat
    Not sure why that link didn't take...let's try again.

[ul][li]Ready for Brine Time[/ul]
  • Cat
    Not sure why that link didn't take...let's try again.

[ul][li]Ready for Brine Time[/ul]