Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"What's Your Favorite Way To Top A Hamburger?" Survey

Mac  in NC
Mac in NC Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got back from Sam's where I purchased one of those megapacks of pre-made burgers. I've decide that for the next few days, I'm going to have a burger for lunch and a burger for dinner. So, in order to keep the bore of burgerdom from setting in, I'm recruiting my fellow eggers to help me figure out ways to "dress these buns". [p]How do you top your burgers? I'm looking for real creativity here. (I made a burger last summer that was topped with crabmeat, bacon and a wasabi mayonnaise) Simplicity is good too if it produces a tasty result (thinking of your burger, Max). [p]I look forward to reading these and even more so to eating them. [p]Happy Cookin'[p]Mac

Comments

• Mac in NC ,[p]Don't forget about breakfast...it's the most important meal of the day! I always enjoy a breakfast burger (burger with bacon and a fried egg on top).

• Mac in NC ,[p]Canadian Bacon w/ american cheese.[p]Sauteed mushrooms w/ swiss cheese.[p]Mike[p]
  • Mac in NC ,
    A few of my favorites:
    - The Blue Cheese Burger - saute mushroom & onion add melt blue cheese on top (all nice & sloppy) topped with A1
    - The Hickory Burger - sauted onions with a little BBQ sauce mixed in. Burger topped with hickory smoked bacon, jalepeno jack cheese, add the BBQ'd onions and more BBQ sauce
    - The Philly Burger - saute green peppers & onions (sometime mushrooms). Top burger with that mixture and melt some provolone cheese add some catsup and your there
    - The Damn Hot Burger - saute hot peppers of your choice jalepeno, serano, chiles, top the burger with jalepeno jack cheese and the peppers with a little hot sauce (chahula)
    - Chile Cheddar Burger - top with you favorite home made chille and melted cheddar.[p]That should get you started. I'm sure non of them are too healthy, but they sure taste good! Joe

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Mac in NC ,
    Mushroom swiss burgers have always been a favorite, but I have a nother idea. Just popped into my head, so bear with me. Caramelize a bunch of sweet onion and add some roasted garlic, a bunch of shrooms, and some beer or wine. Reduce down, and when nearly dry add sour cream, a little cheese (thinking bleu, goat or swiss but you know), and some fresh cracked pepper or some rub. Cook til bubbly and thick, and dump upon boigah.[p]Might work?
    Beers Mac
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Mac in NC ,[p]For quite awhile now I haven't even messed with putting them on a bun. The main thing is to start out with good meat in the first place. Haven't ever had Sam's burger, so can't comment. I found a smaller health food sort of place that has the BEST burger I've been able to find. Always VERY fresh, the right grind and mix of fat.[p]Ok, then after that, I make mine about 1/2 pounders, maybe just slightly less. Sprinkle liberally with Cowlick, both sides and the edges. Finally, I've started poking a hole through the middle with a finger to make it sort of like a donut. I read about that on this site - seems to make the burger cook more evenly. The hole closes as the burger cooks.[p]Lately, I've been topping with HOT Bone Suckin Sauce. It's not really even that hot but it's really tasty. PERFECT BURGERS!

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Mac in NC , I win for most boring "favorite"; crunchy lettuce, mayo & pepper. JCA

• Mac in NC ,[p]The Avocado Bravo Burger![p]Very Simple.[p]Mayo AND sour cream.
    Jack
    Green ortega chilis
    Diced avocado or Guac
    Lettuce and tomato.[p]Try it, I promise you do them again![p]Justin

• Nature Boy,[p]You got more funky slang words than I seem to be able to keep up with...so what the heck is a boigah?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Mac in NC ,
    Since you have the pre-made patties.....Mound up some intense ingredients like hot peppers, onion, horseradish, ginger or crushed garlic, add some cheese & ground mustard then top with a second patty, press seal the edges of that sucker and make a super stuffed burger. When it's done, top it a second time with the letttuce, pickles, tomato etc.
    ~thirdeye~ [p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • I'm dying to try it. Your addition of bacon is a nice touch! [p]Lee
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Mac in NC ,
    Pastrami, pickles and mustard!!!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Greendriver,
    Isn't that how they say "burger" up in the Bronx?[p]Sorry for all tha slang. Sometimes I like to write like I talk, and I like to have fun. Not tryin to confuse ya er nuthin! ;>) You gonna try the topping? If so, please let me know how it comes out. Like I said, just an idear, and maybe there is even some room for some horseradish, but i was just thinkin it would be might tasty![p]Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Don't encourage him.[p]It's a New York (maybe Brooklyn?) pronounciation of the word "burger".[p]Where you from, Greendriver?[p]Lee
  • Mac in NC ,
    Mix some dill weed with mayo - yum! Top with bacon if you please.

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Mac in NC , I'm suprised that no one mentioned chili, without beans as a topping. I'm from NC and it wasn't a burger without chili.

• Pakak,[p]The idea of poking (4) holes in the burgers in order to cook quicker was actually an idea developed by the creaters of White Castle hamburgers!! They came up with the idea right around the time they switched from round burgers to square ones in order to make maximum use of grill space during the working day. How's that for trivia! (I've been watching a lot of Food Network recently) LOL[p]Mac
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Mac in NC , tabasco, yellow mustard and pickles. [p]I take care of the cheese element by stuffing them with blue cheese and broccoli. Weird?

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Mac in NC,[p]My favorite, nothing fancy. Lettuce, mayo (Duke's of course), a Kraft single, home-made sweet pickles, and a healthly dose of Heinz ketchup. In the growing season, a slice of home-grown tomato. And if I'm feel'n wild, a slice of sweet onion. If she loves you, the onion shouldn't matter. Of course, we've seen your wife Mac. I wouldn't take any chances. I'd hold the onion.

• Yo Mac, The link below will take you to a post I made last week on how I cook burgers indirectly. As to how I like to dress my burgers, here are my ultimate toppings. First of all, I like an onion bun with Griffin's Sweet Mustard on one side and BBQ sauce on the other. [p]My favorite toppings are cherry smoked mushrooms and bacon. The bacon and mushrooms should be cooked in advance. Right before the burgers are ready to come off the grill, I will top the burger with a slice of swiss cheese, bacon and sliced mushrooms.[p]There are several posts in the archives on how to cook bacon. I don't think I have posted anything on cooking mushrooms on the grill, but that is no biggie. Just buy the plain white mushrooms, cut the stem off even with the bottom of the cap. I cook the shrooms while I smoke the bacon. I start with the stem down and flip them stem side up about ten minutes later. They are usually done in less than twenty minutes. They are done when they are soft to touch or "squishy." I cook them along with the bacon. [p]Once cooked, I refrigerate the shrooms. The mushrooms can be used in soups and casseroles. They are really good deep fried in a tempura batter. I have a real good soup recipe that uses both the bacon and mushrooms but I will post that recipe in another thread.[p]Lager,[p]Juggy
    [ul][li]Juggy Burgers[/ul]
  • Mac in NC ,
    well, you already know i like my bighonkinburger, mixed with a little bbq sauce, coated liberally with either dizzy cowlick or bluesmoke's witchy red, then served up with absolutely nothin. ..no bun, no cheese, no condiments. ..[p]now, having said that, if i was doin up a frozen burger, or eaten one out, my favorite would have to be a fuddruckers 2/3 pounder, topped with jalapeno cheese, a little letuce, salsa and guacamole. ...i love those things. .[p]great survey btw. ..

• Eggsellent,
    if you like dillweed, try mixing it with sour cream and serving it on the side with grilled salmon. . ..its amazing...

• Mac in NC ,
    then you also know that the burgers aren't grilled. ..they are steamed between the bed of onions and the buns. ..they aren't even flipped. ..nothin quite like the little buggers. . .when ever i've been up in new jersey on business i try to make it a point to stop in at a white castle and eat a bagful. ..beleive it or not, sometime you can find them on amtrak train cafe cars. .. .they are packaged three to a package, and they zap them in the microwawe. ..taste exactly the same as getting them fresh at a whitecastle restaurant. .. .just add a little yellow mustard and ketchup. ..yummy. ..[p]we used to have a small chain of places around washington d.c. call Little Tavern. ..their motto was also "buy em by the bag full". ...very, very similar to a white castle burger. ...again, steamed with onions on the square bun, not grilled. ..

• moderately chopped cabbage Kim Chi
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Mac in NC ,
    you cant do it with premade, but a good italian loaf with a crunchy chewey crust makes good burgers. shape about 1.5 pounds of burger to fit the loaf, sort of like a large fat flattened football. press the center down so that it will cook flatter and hold the toppings better when eating. i like canned chopped chilis, sweet baby rays and ketchup with some bluecheese and bacon on it. serves 2. i was on the atkins diet last year, and now i just cant believe how good bread tastes

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • QSis,[p]Georgia...let's see, would that be something like G_ _ _ oh forget it, I can't spell that with the dialect included...but what I want to know is can you or Nature boy do it?
  • Nature Boy,[p]ahh, horseradish...the ingredient that tipped the scale...now I'll try or some version thereof. Love my horseradish...if you ain't never tried homegrown your missing out...just get you some for planting and a shovel and in a year or so you experience horseradish at a much higher level. Even the "fresh" in the store won't come close (it's been sitting around too long".[p]Chet
  • mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I don't know what else to call one of those things. Its just a big hot smooth sheet of steel like those you see at Waffle House. Would griddle space sound better? LOL[p]All this mini-burger talk is getting me hungry. Where's a White Castle when you need one?
    Mac

• Yazoo,[p]Yep, I have to hold 'em if I want any lovin' from her. She absolutely hates the things.
    Now that home-grown tomato is making me really wish it was summer. There is nothing better than a slice of 'mater straight from the vine. [p]Mac

• Mac in NC ,
    oh, while that steel piece may be a griddle, the burgers are still steamed. ...you should go to you nearest hospital cafeteria, and if they have a big vending machine room, you might find them in their. . . .when my wife was in the hospital a few years ago, and my son was in children's hospital, both places had the vending machine rooms for after hours eats, and believe it or not, i could sometimes find the white castle burger packs in there. ... crazy excuse to go to a hospital, but what the heck. ..its better than a lot of other reasons. ...