Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Chicken question

Options
Whataguy
Whataguy Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read Whiz's recipe but not sure if I need to cook it over direct coals or use the plate sitter w/drip pan. Suggestions anyone? Going to wrap Valdalia onion and cook it at same time.
1 - Lg Green Egg
1 - X Lg Green Egg
1 - Brian Alan table
2 - DigiQ thermometers
Lots of passion and alcohol

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Options
    I've done it both ways and both have turned out fine. If you go direct then raise the grid. :)
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Either way is fine but we do ours indirect with a drip pan to catch the chicken fat before it hits the fire. It produces nasty smoke IMHO...
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Wow. You know, it's been a LONG time since we last rehashed this debate. Seems like a lot longer than usual, unless I've missed a few.

I usually do direct, on a raised grid. If I'm going to go indirect, I'll put a drip pan under the bird (not directly on the plate setter, or it will burn) and either make gravy, or put some veggies in there to cook in the drippings. Yum. But usually, it's direct. If I'm doing only one bird, I'll often also direct-grill 1/4" thick slices of potato as well.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I do spatchcocked chicken / turkey 100% direct at 375/400 raised.
    It just works for me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Following a few tips here, after prepping the bird, I put it in the fridge (uncovered) for about 5 hours to make for a crispier skin. Seasoned the non-skin side (underneath) generously with a Dizzy Pig rub for poultry and then it went on the grill, skin side down (direct) for 20 minutes. Turned, seasoned the skin side and cooked for about another 40-45 minutes until the breast temp reached 160. I did a few of these at a friend's party and they came out great... on a 'gasser', no less (OMG!!!) Enjoy yer cookin'!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Welcome to the forum. Great cook indeed, both spatchcock or whole.

Either direct or indirect will produce great results, the safest is indirect, use a raised drip pan. Those toss away aluminum pans make an inexpensive drip pan.

If you decide yo want to cook direct I like (only) using a raised grid.

A cheap way to achieve a raised grid is to only load the lump to the top of the holes in the fire box. You will achieve the distance between the lump and food as you would if you loaded the lump and used a raised grid.

I like using the Adjustable Rig as it put the food further up in the dome.

You can season the bird any why you like and the results will turn out great. Cook the bird to 165° internal, breast and legs and the food will be juicy. Cook to 190°-200° and the bird will have a very traditional bbq/smoked texture and flavor. Your first cooks use the 165°.

A safe temperature is to cook at about 350° dome and plan on 1 to 1 & a quarter hours. [ul]Cook to temperature.[/ul]

I cook whole chicken at temperatures up to 500° dome and get great results. Mostly I cook at 400° direct, raised grid.

These are whole chicken cooks but spactchcock will come out just as nice.

chicken2plug3rdeyeplug.jpg

chick400.jpg

chicken3.jpg

Here is another chicken cook the turns out really good. Great chicken and potatoes

Enjoy, take some pictures and and let us know how your cook turns out.

GG
  • TN  Egger
    TN Egger Posts: 29
    Options
    I usually cook them indirect @ 350-375. This give me the best results.
  • Whataguy
    Whataguy Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks all,
    I ended up doing it on grill extender, cooked about 1 hr at 400, but used drip pan on lower grid. It came out great, but next time I will probably follow Rascal's idea of refrig it for 5 hr prior for a more crispy shin and not use the drip pan. Found some Emeril's Chicken Rub that was pretty good but I really need to find some better rubs.

Since I'm a newbie, I might have overdone it, not only cooked the chicken but couple ears of corn, Vidalia onion in foil wrap and eggplant, plus a couple of sausages. So maybe all that extra stuff soaked up the fire, plus was way more than the two of us could eat.

Thanks again for all the help.
    1 - Lg Green Egg
    1 - X Lg Green Egg
    1 - Brian Alan table
    2 - DigiQ thermometers
    Lots of passion and alcohol