Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tonight's Trout

ForniaFornia Posts: 451
edited 3:28PM in EggHead Forum
My good friend brought me some frozen trout caught by his grandfather, from local PA waters.

I was in a real crunch for time, so I kept it super simple….and ended up with great results.

Inside of cavity seasoned with Signore Bernardo Salmon Seasoning, then some butter, and thinly sliced lemon. Tied them up (not sure I needed to do this) and ready for the Egg. Some sliced potatoes in foil with thinly sliced yellow onions, butter and spices.
IMG_3019.jpg
I put the foiled potatoes on early, direct at 400 dome. Then worked the Egg down to 375 dome and cooked the trout raised-indirect (on the grid above the foiled potatoes).
IMG_3024.jpg
IMG_3027.jpg
My friend eats these trout a lot more than I, and he raved on the result. I gave all credit to ‘Chico’ (his grandpa)!

IMG_3035.jpg
IMG_3038.jpg
IMG_3044.jpg

Comments

• Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Great cook!

Gotta keep close to that friend (or his grandfather). ;) :whistle: :woohoo:
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,406
    Great cook Jason! Nothing better than fresh fish.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • jkinzeljkinzel Posts: 21
    I love fish, looks so good.
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,392
    Jason, your trout looks so delicious! :)

I think your preperation was perfect!
  • TN  EggerTN Egger Posts: 29
    Looks great!
  • Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Looks super Jason and I'm not a fan of trout. I think I would make an exception in this case. It looks perfect with the tatters.

Blair

• 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Looks like the trout cooked up good. ;) How was the bones? :huh:
  • LDDLDD Posts: 1,225
    that looks great!
    context is important :)
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    Beautiful fresh fish! Nice cook too.
  • WOW!!! Looks awesome.
    Couple questions:
    1) Do you have to scale (or "de-scale") the fish first?
    2) Did the skin simply peel off?
    3) What was approximate time on each side?

Thanks for sharing!
  • ForniaFornia Posts: 451
    2Fategghead wrote:
    Looks like the trout cooked up good. ;) How was the bones? :huh:

Thanks Tim! The bones weren't a problem at all....we simply pulled on the back bone...and with some care, got everything out except for many 3-5 bones per fish.

Ozarkshooter wrote:
    WOW!!! Looks awesome.
    Couple questions:
    1) Do you have to scale (or "de-scale") the fish first?
    2) Did the skin simply peel off?
    3) What was approximate time on each side?

Ozarkshooter,
    Thanks! Did not descale....although not sure if it was done prior to freezing. I know trout have little amount of scales, after reading up last night.

Yes...it almost literally slipped right on off. It was great!

Maybe 4-5mins per side....was shooting for internal of 140°, but ended up using the 'flake test'. Was not dried at all....and likely higher than 140°. Another testatment to the Egg's wonders!
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Great looking trout Jason
    This was my dads favorite meal

Shane