Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Salmon Problem. Help

TnVolKenTnVolKen Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Son's 10th birthday and he wants grilled Salmon. Made it many times. My problem is that I thought I pruchased "skin on" salmon. Only to find out I purchased "skin off" salmon. Cooking for 10. Alot of salmon to go bad if not cooked. Suggestions.
·

Comments

• Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 3,568
    Give this a shot. Very good and very simple.

http://dizzypigbbq.com/recipesSalmon.html
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    ·
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Sounds like they are prepped for Salmon Pizza. ;) Best Salmon I've ever had.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1025961&catid=1

You'll see some pics about half way through this post. also the recipe is in the cookbook on this site.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=1261
    ·
    His Salmon cure is lights out!
    ·
    I agree. All of his stuff is great.
    Great web site for so many cooks.
    Really put in the time to do it right.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    ·
  • TnVolKenTnVolKen Posts: 198
    So what I am seeing is I can still grill the salmon with the skin off, correct. Thank to all for the great ideas.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    it will stay together and be "grillable" if you don't play with it or turn it too soon (sticking) or too late (falling apart).

funny thing is i would skin my fillet if it had skin and i wanted to grill it. skin-on, i do plank style and/or indirect, and the stuff slides right off the skin
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
    correct. i'd be willin' to bet most salmon grilled is actually skin off...
    ·
    We used to do a soy based ginger marinade, no skin, and cut them into serving size right after we skinned'em. Makes for much easier flipping, temp control and in this case presentation. :)

I'll see if GW can dig this one out of the archives. It's a good one.
    ·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,329
    While some people eat the skin, I find it extremely fishy and never eat it. Plus, I like getting a good flavor crust on both sides, so I take the skin off anyways.

Happy birthday to son!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • GWGW Posts: 98
    Don't have it handy but basically it's water, oil, garlic, lemon pepper, brown sugar. Might have another thing or two but that's basically it. Marinate 2hrs up to overnight in a ziploc. Kids love this one. It doesn't even taste like fish.

On the topic of skin vs no skin. It's always better to take the skin off and trim the fat off of the back of the filet. That takes a ton of the "fishy" taste out of it.
    ·
    What about bones? :whistle:
    ·
    How bout I just bring the whole fish home and you can filet your own :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    ·
    "always better" ain't always the case ;)

grilled skin can be a treat to those who like it.
    ·
    You're right, it's a personal preference. Not to mention, it's a lot harder to flip without falling apart without the skin....... Does depend on what kind of salmon we are talking about too. I catch mostly King/Chinook. Coho/Silvers and Sockeye do have pretty edible skin.
    ·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC00109aa.jpg

I prefer to cook most fish with the skin too, and even when I remove it to cut away the blood line, I still season that side, lightly oil it and stick the skin back on. I also rarely ever turn fish. Planking skinless fillets works great, but if you don't have planks, these two options come to mind. ... The aluminum plank, heheheee, and just a fish grid.

When using foil, be sure to oil it and also to season the down side of the fish, and I like to always put the side that had skin as the downside.

DSC07821a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
    Really like your indirect setup in your second photo.
    Great idea.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    ·
    i tend to catch whatever the fish guy is sellin' :blush:
    ·