Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

36 hour short ribs (42 hour actually)

Options
chocdoc
chocdoc Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hot tubbed (aka sous vide'd) some inexpensive short ribs I found at the grocery store the other day.

56º C for 42 hours - plunged into cold water, grilled a bit on the egg for some additional flavour.

Tender as butter, perfectly beefy - next time a degree or two cooler for the colour though.

Here they are still in the bag, that red around them is abnormally beefy jelly - I wasn't paying attention or I would have caught it all, froze it, and used it to boost flavour in stews and such.

5526476154_50b19a5757.jpg
DSCN2672 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

A quick brown nice and close to the lump.

5526476200_f27b15c12c.jpg
DSCN2675 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Lump could have been a bit hotter for a quicker grilling I'd say.

5525883139_631f24851b.jpg
DSCN2677 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Colour not so good - but still the most amazing texture ever and moist as can be!

5525883173_e17ed2eed4.jpg
DSCN2678 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yes, the texture is unreal. Each bite sort of pops in the mouth.

I've done short ribs 2 times at 131-2F, and 72 hours. I've done chuck roasts at 134F, once for 60 hours, and another for 48, which was better. At 60 hours, it was almost jelly like.

Also, did a top round for 48 hours. Was better than any other way I have tried.

For most of the cooks I just used salt and pepper, but did one batch of ribs with DP Cowlick, which worked pretty well.

I haven't had a chance yet to sear on the Egg, because the weather has been so awful for months. I've been finishing with a fast pan sear. Hope to try the Egg in a week or two. Have any suggestions for timing?
  • chocdoc
    Options
    I'm thinking as little time on the grill as required to get a bit of browning. I did rub with a bit of olive oil to encourage quick browning.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    How did you maintain temp? Do you have the sous vide?

http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/

I have a hot plate like you used in science class back in High School. I wonder it it could somehow be used for this type of cook. :huh: It sounds like the heated water circulates in the pot while using the sous vide equipment. :unsure:
  • Vincent Chase
    Options
    I got a killer deal on eBay at the end of December for the Polyscience Sous Vide unit that Williams & Sonoma sells for a little more than what the Sous Vide Supreme goes for. Price wise, it was still a very expensive gadget but I had to pull out the plastic for it. I've had a blast using it and think this way of cooking is a total game changer. If you really want to use the sous vide technology to it's fullest, those chamber vacuum sealers seem like almost a must. My circulator came with a binder of Thomas Keller sous vide recipes and I'd say 2/3 of them called for that chamber vacuum. Totally changes texture in certain foods and more importantly, allows you to sous vide foods in a marinade or liquid, something that's not possible with the Food Saver.

I actually had a skirt steak yesterday that I sous vide for two days at 130. I had marinated it for another two in Asian flavors. Freaking awesome. I've also done a 72 hour short rib recipe from David Chang, and it was a revelation.

I wish I could tie the Egg into this but sadly I can't. I sear really, really quickly because I've already cooked the protein to around what I want it to be internally and searing for too long is going to take the doneness to the next level. I seared the skirt steak yesterday for 15 seconds a side in my screaming hot cast iron pot. Really just looking for the Maillard Reaction to take place for texture. Can't justify the time or lump use solely for a 30 second sear in my Large. I'm definitely going to try to cold smoke some proteins in the future before I sous vide them. I have a tri-tip I found at Trader Joes that I'm thinking I want to try sous vide.
  • chocdoc
    Options
    2Fategghead wrote:
    How did you maintain temp? Do you have the sous vide?

http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/

I have a hot plate like you used in science class back in High School. I wonder it it could somehow be used for this type of cook. :huh: It sounds like the heated water circulates in the pot while using the sous vide equipment. :unsure:

I have a Sous Vide Magic that I run my slow cooker through. It's one of the original units - I was a beta tester for it, so it's in whole degrees while the new ones are in 10ths of a degree. It works for my purposes.

I know some people are using the hot plates - just have to make sure they don't draw too much current with the SVM.
  • chocdoc
    Options
    Vincent Chase wrote:
    I got a killer deal on eBay at the end of December for the Polyscience Sous Vide unit that Williams & Sonoma sells for a little more than what the Sous Vide Supreme goes for. Price wise, it was still a very expensive gadget but I had to pull out the plastic for it. I've had a blast using it and think this way of cooking is a total game changer. If you really want to use the sous vide technology to it's fullest, those chamber vacuum sealers seem like almost a must. My circulator came with a binder of Thomas Keller sous vide recipes and I'd say 2/3 of them called for that chamber vacuum. Totally changes texture in certain foods and more importantly, allows you to sous vide foods in a marinade or liquid, something that's not possible with the Food Saver.

I actually had a skirt steak yesterday that I sous vide for two days at 130. I had marinated it for another two in Asian flavors. Freaking awesome. I've also done a 72 hour short rib recipe from David Chang, and it was a revelation.

I wish I could tie the Egg into this but sadly I can't. I sear really, really quickly because I've already cooked the protein to around what I want it to be internally and searing for too long is going to take the doneness to the next level. I seared the skirt steak yesterday for 15 seconds a side in my screaming hot cast iron pot. Really just looking for the Maillard Reaction to take place for texture. Can't justify the time or lump use solely for a 30 second sear in my Large. I'm definitely going to try to cold smoke some proteins in the future before I sous vide them. I have a tri-tip I found at Trader Joes that I'm thinking I want to try sous vide.

Picked up a chamber vacuum sealer on Kijiji a couple of weeks back for a great price. Just waiting for hubby to hook up the 220V for it - hope that will happen in this lifetime!
  • Vincent Chase
    Options
    Damn, I'm jealous! The Sous Vide Supreme has just put one out and at $800 it's the cheapest one I've seen. Even if I had the extra cash I'm not sure I could stomach making that purchase. If they end up selling that at Sur La Table (where I have seen the Sous Vide Supreme sold), maybe I'll just suggest gift cards there around holiday time. Over time, I could accumulate enough gift cards to make this happen ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Thanks :) When I get around to it I may pic a food and research temp and time and try it. ;)
  • chocdoc
    Options
    Vincent Chase wrote:
    Damn, I'm jealous! The Sous Vide Supreme has just put one out and at $800 it's the cheapest one I've seen. Even if I had the extra cash I'm not sure I could stomach making that purchase. If they end up selling that at Sur La Table (where I have seen the Sous Vide Supreme sold), maybe I'll just suggest gift cards there around holiday time. Over time, I could accumulate enough gift cards to make this happen ;)

The one SVS is selling can be had elsewhere for about $675.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    WOW! 42 hours. Great lookin vittles.I've never tried short ribs but those look MITEEFINE!