Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Wings - not so good results

Hillbilly-HightechHillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So it seems like most every time I try something new on the Egg, I screw it up, and then wait for you guys to tell me what I did wrong... and this is no exception.

So here's the background - I did my research, and after reading the different techniques folks use for wings, I decided I'd try Fidel's preferred method, which was direct, raised grid, 350 degrees for about an hour.

However, the results were less than pleasant - overly charred outside :(

I used these 2 rubs:

wingrub.jpg

Then I setup the Egg as a raised grid (using a couple fire bricks) and got temp to about 350:

directraisedsetup.jpg

So after about 20 minutes or so, the wings actually were looking (and smelling) pretty dang good (although, the very tips of the wings were starting to get charred, but I figured that was OK cuz there's no meat on the tips anyway): :whistle:

wingscooking.jpg

But, after the hour (actually, I think it was about 50 minutes or so, they looked like this: :angry:

burntwings.jpg

sooooooooo, what did I do wrong?????

Thanks,
Rob
Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments