Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good,Bad and Ugly.

Hoss
Hoss Posts: 14,600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Supper-Good food,Bad pics,Ugly sear.
Went CAVEMAN,was VERY dissappointed in the sear ,salt only.My CI Grid does better.The coals were GLOWING hot.Must be the flash. :huh: Not much sear at all.90 mins on each side.The Egg was ginning at 400 dome with the platesetter in! :blink: Made an ernyin with bacon grease,S&P,Whassishere,balsamic syrup, butta and brown suga.Taters(hasselback) with Cajun seasoning,S&P and smeared with bacon grease.After the salt only sear I dusted the steak with some RATTLESTEAK seasoning that the Pepper Pilot sent me.Thanks P.P. That stuff ROCKS! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! B)Put the platesetter back in and cooked at 400 dome til done. Cooked some porkchops earlier this week with the Java Lava.It was OUTSTANDING! Accidentally deleted the pics of that cook.You will just have to trust me.Without further adue.......
100_3911.jpg
100_3913.jpg
100_3914.jpg
100_3907.jpg
100_3909.jpg
[img size=620][/img]100_3916.jpg
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/Hoss_o1/100_3910.jpg
100_3916.jpg
100_3917.jpg
100_3918.jpg
100_3919.jpg

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    90 minutes per side huh? :laugh: Looks good anyway!

Get a CI grid that's small enough to place directly on the lump...

4713265284_c67908d128_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    I gotta do sumthin.I laid that baby right on the glowing coals,almost NO sear! :angry: I did pop the platesetter and CI grill back in and roast the steak til it hit 125 I.T.Seasoned after the (sear). :) I cannot believe I got no more char than that on the neckid coals. :unsure: :ermm: :huh:
  • Carolina Q
    I've only commando'd once or twice. I don't recall much of a seared appearance either, come to think of it. Tasted good anyway.

I didn't leave it there for 90 mins though. :laugh: And I've never put a platesetter in for the roast. Raised yes, but direct. Though the PS would bring the temp down more quickly - maybe even preserve those great grill marks. Will try indirect roast next time. Thanks!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• popedaddy
    popedaddy Posts: 51
    90 minutes?! Doesn't look like you were at 400 imo might want to check that thermometer.
  • Carolina Q
    hahaha! he meant seconds. I was just yankin' his chain. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    :blush: Oh LAWD I meant seconds! :laugh: :blink: No more Jack for me tonite! :whistle: The platesetter works GREAT for the roast.I usually let her rip to 700+ with the CI installed for the sear then throw in the platesetter and an extra grid for the roast.Dome temp will drop 300 degrees instantly. ;) I use nothing but salt until it is seared then season with whatever I want between the sear and roast.
  • Hoss
    :blush: seconds!My BAD! :pinch:
  • Carolina Q
    So... you actually do know how to cook a steak? Even if your brain has been addled by all that damned bologna? :laugh: :P

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Hoss, here's my 2 cents ... I see a 'cavity' in the middle surround by ashes and almost depleted lumps, not sure if that was by design but I think it explains the lack of sear and long cook time?
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Hoss
    The 'Loney has not taken near the toll of the Shine! ;)
  • Hoss
    Could be.I raked the coals back so only GLOWING coals were under the meat.They were solid orange.The pic does not confirm that.It was 90 secs a side,not mins! :blush: Then roasted,indirect til it hit 125 I.T.Still WAY less char than I was expecting.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Looks YUMMMY !, even if it wasn't what you expected. :woohoo:

BTW, the porkchop cook doesn't exist if no pics ! :ohmy: Or so I've been told ! :(
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Haha I should have realised it's secs not mins. Another thought ... perhaps when the wet lump of meat is in direct contact it chills the lumps and deprives them of air. I like Carolina Q's CI on the lumps approach - the little buffer between the lumps and the meat permits better air supply and the CI mass transmit heat more evenly.
    canuckland
  • Hoss: Personaly, I think the sear looks pretty good...And no matter, I'm thinking it was tasty.
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Maybe if you raise it up, just an inch, you might get the sear. I had no problem getting a very nice crust on the steaks I cooked last night. Then again, I cooked steaks, and it looks like you cooked a roast.

Here's a shot - it was a bit harder to get the actual shot I wanted, due to the darkness.

DSCN0179.JPG

And a link to the only CI, small grate, I was able to find -

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-8834-Gourmet-System-Grate/dp/B0044ERTDY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1298320767&sr=8-5

When I have some extra cash, I'd like to pick one up.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    The plated pics look delicious, even if you didn't get the sear you were hoping for. I have never tried this method and have a question....is there any ash residue to contend with on the steak? :huh: :ermm:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Hoss the next time you screw something up that bad just send it to me. The end product looked very good and I would count it as a keeper.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I have one of those Weber CI grates.
    It's very nice. You will like it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    looks good to me. i need to try caveman style one day.
  • Hoss
    I knew SOMEBODY was gonna catch that one! :laugh: Thanks.
  • Hoss
    None at all.Thanks e.The steak tasted fine,I just wanted a little more char.
  • Hoss
    Thanks.It tasted great.I was just hoping for a little more char on the outside.
  • Hoss
    Thanks.It was tastee.
  • Hoss
    I think you're right.Thanks.
  • Hoss
    It was fun to try.Thanks.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Still looks pretty darn good from here, Hoss :)

Shane