Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh apple wood

Options
wkygriller
wkygriller Posts: 408
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My neighbor had to take down an apple tree to make way for a larger garden and gave me quite a bit of the wood (truck load). My question is do I need to let this stuff season and also do I need to remove the bark before using it to smoke with?

Comments

• Rick in Crystal Lake
    Options
    Here is what I did and it seemed to work out very well.
    Had cut down an apple tree as well as a mulberry. Did this two years ago and stacked wood to let it dry (season) for about a year. Stripped off the bark and ran it through my small chipper. It made just the right size chips. I have used these woods for smoking and think the flaver is better that anything store bought around here. I have a pear tree that needs to go this spring and will do the same with that one. I'm not sure this is the correct way or the only way to do it but it did work for me.
    Good luck.
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    You can use it when it is green. Myron Mixon does. The bark can stay on.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    It sure doesn't need to season and bark is fine. The only warning I can give is that it can mold rather easily and needs air flow. It's also WAY easier to cut and split when it's green. Chunks are also preferred by eggrers as they will produce smoke for hours and hours, while chips can and will burn off at a much different rate.

Try some soon, if you haven't already. You'll be amazed by the flavor and aromas.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    no need to season it. you can certainly use it now.
    if you have a lot of it, it will take you a while to get through it all, and you can see whether there really is an advantage to seasoning.

seems half the guys swear it must be seasoned, and the other half say their secret is using it green.

if you were heating a house with it, you might get creosote buildup, but you won't notice any bitterness or creosote from a few branches at a time
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • wkygriller
    Options
    Adam,
    Just loaded the egg with a full load of wicked good lump and several good size chunks of apple. Putting on an 8 lb butt in a few!! Will let you know the outcome.
  • Tim Fowler
    Options
    You could always try some now to see if you like it green and with or without bark. Either way, I'm thinking with a truckload, some of it will be seasoned before you use it all ;)
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    just use it and stop making an issue out of everything!( all you folks on here....it's simple........ it's wood... it smokes... how difficult is that?.... are you an engineer?.... why make a big deal outta something so simple and the federal deficit......?...... easy to fix....... get those lazy bastards working!!!!!!!//lol
  • wkygriller
    Options
    Thanks Ray. Now I feel more confidant about the apple wood :lol:
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Hey Adam:

You mentioned possible mold to me before.

If mold gets into the apple wood, do you have to toss it or is there a way to salvage it?

Michael
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Many schools of thought here.... :ohmy:
    Green or seasoned, to well seasoned, how to store and so on and so on.
    I personally like to use a seasoned smoke-wood. I think it gives me a better smoke flavor, doesn't impact my fire (cooking out the moisture) and give off what I would call a creosote type of taste....But that's just me.
    As Adam mentioned: Be sure to have a good air flow about your wood when it is green / seasoning. A moldy wood will give off and impart a flavor that is not pleasant.
    Good luck with your new found smoke-wood :) !
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Actually, I am an engineer :whistle: and I agree....Smoke it!! We, just all have "our way" of doing things.
    OTOH, we got to somehow find those lasy bastards a job that will pay their bills....So I / we don't have to.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    At first I thought it had to be tossed, so I did into my fire pit. I didn't make a fire, just tossed them in it. A couple weeks later, after some rain and what not, I picked a piece of it up and noticed all the mold was gone so I gather the rest if it up and it appeared fine. :P It's all been burned by now and we all made it. ;)

I dunno for sure. :S
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Michael:
    I'm not sure either, but I think that if a person were to cut the mold off (a band saw or sawsall type of rig) the remaining wood, as long as it is solid, would be just fine.
    The thing about moldy or punky wood is that it gives a bitter taste :( .
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    I have a pile of apple in the back - It was well stacked with decent air flow, BUT it got covered in snow this winter. I assume that there will be some moldy bits. I wonder if cutting off the moldy pieces will be enough?

Michael
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it doesn't give a bitter taste. come on, people. "bark gives a bitter taste", "green wood gives a bitter taste". now mold. :laugh:

just burn the crap. and quit overthinking it. wood is good.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Give it a month or so and it will all look the same. :P ;)
  • wkygriller
    Options
    Stike...my thoughts exactly. Got some nice looking smoke coming out right now. Plan on using the apple until it's gone.