Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Zippylip Pizza

Options
Quadzilla
Quadzilla Posts: 40
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally got around to making Zippylip's new pizza dough. I am very happy with my results for the first try.

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0243.jpg

IMAG0244.jpg

Thanks to Zippylip for taking the time to put the directions together.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I love the look of that pie!! Great char!!! What temp did you use?

Somehow I missed the "new" dough recipe. Can you please post the link?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Quadzilla
    Options
    Here is link to Zipplylips method - http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=987401&catid=1#

It is based on this but, much easier to follow - http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

I baked pies at 650* for 6 minutes. I have tried to make pies using various other methods and never made anything better than average. I thought these were great and pretty easy to make. I just need to get better at moving the pies from the peel to the grill;)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    THANKS!! Try a bit of semolina on the peel next time. Shouldn't need much. Like ball bearings on the peel. As you're building the pie, shake it from time to time to make sure it doesn't stick.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• LinebackerU
    Options
    You really should use cornmeal on your pizza peel in order to easily get the dough off it.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Way to go. Looks great.
    I used the wrong flour on my attempt Friday night but thanks to all the help I'm stocked with the right stuff for another try mid week.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I used to use corn meal, until I discovered semolina. Great stuff! Give it a try.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Quadzilla
    Options
    I used cornmeal and it worked fine. I just managed to turn circular pies into ovals when I was shaking the peel to avoid sticking. I'll try the semolina next time but, I am not sure it will be enough to compensate for my clumsiness. :)
  • Quadzilla
    Options
    @photo egg - I made another batch today as well for Tuesday night. Please post pics!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    No problemo with Parchment paper! ;)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    You can also build the pie on parchment paper (no cornmeal or semolina needed) and just slide the whole thing onto the stone. After a couple of minutes, pull the paper out from under the pie and let it finish cooking. Then use the peel to remove the pie. I haven't had much luck with that method, but others swear by it.

Either way, my pies are never round! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I type too slow. Or too much! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• phar71
    phar71 Posts: 44
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I love that style Za and cant wait to try. I live in Atlanta and eat at Varassanos often, and love it.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Really good looking crust
    Still working on mine :angry: :laugh:

Shane