Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for left brainers

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, makin chili. So I cubed up a chuck roast and browned it in a dutch oven, added my chili puree, my broth to cover the meat. Now it's on the egg simmering with just enough heat to keep it bubbling for enough time to tenderize the meat and melt the collagen.

As we all know (even us right-brainers), the temp of the liquid around the beef is 212...since boiling water doesn't get higher unless it is under pressure. Logic says that even if you apply more heat (in this case lets say more rapidly boiling than "bubbling") the meat will still be cooking at 212 since it is immersed in the liquid.

Or...my mind wonders if you bump up the heat a bit, the meat will actually cook faster, even though the liquid itself never gets over 212. More energy is being applied. The entire dutch oven is hotter, and the air above the chili is hotter.

Whaddya think?
Cheers!
Chris
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments