Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Updating My Earthquake Kit With Egg Equipment

Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm gonna make sure that lighters (Mapp torch, BBQ lighting gun, matches), Weber's fuel cubes (I discovered I had three boxes at the bottom of the deck box and I really like them...they're really fast), backup bag of Royal Oak, paper towels, etc. are in a single place along with plate setter, tools, pizza stones, raised grids, skillet, Dutch oven, saucepan, and gloves of various description. And I'll put the standard earthquake bag, canned goods, and some water right out there too.

Expert Cal Tech predictions for the LONG-overdue (by a couple of hundred years) San Andreas fault quake are for no more than a 7.8 severity. What a comfort!
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    hmmmm, the standard earthquake bag is a foreign term to me - is that commonplace in CA?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    I hear you loud and clear Judy! We are on a fault, I have my earthquake kit prepared, but it is in the garage. Told the fiance that I would like to move it outside, in a shady spot because of the intense heat in the summer. Back up charcoal is a must. If our fridge is still standing, we will have lots to cook for the whole neighborhood! We also decided we should chain a wrench to the gas cut off valve. Since the Northridge quake in 94 I have had shoes and a flashlight next to the bed. I didn't then and my feet were bleeding from broken glass. Praying for the survivors in Japan.
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Oh boy, that is scary! I sure hope that you don't need that emergency kit! :sick: We can have some really crappy weather, with our share of snow and springtime flooding, but are generally spared from mother nature's wrath. No hurricanes, tornadoes...we have experienced earthquakes, but nothing more than a slight giggle usually. Hope all stays well out there! :)
  • Judy Mayberry
    You betcha!

(Courtesy of "Fargo"...I love how they talk.)
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Teresa: I heard a doctor speaking on the radio yesterday about the most common injuries from earthquakes, and he said it was cut-up feet from broken glass...exactly the situation you experienced! You jump out of bed and wham!

I am putting a flashlight right next to my slippers (rubber soled).

Years ago I read a Northridge survivor saying that she never lets her gas tank get less than half full, and ever since then, neither do I. Keep that in mind! I've been through two or three really paralyzing tremors myself.
    Judy in San Diego
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    I know what you mean. When we had the 3 hurricanes in a row back in 06 I had 2 eggs that lived in my den just roll one out back to cook.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    We think about that too Judy. And with gas prices going up, we top off whenever we're near Costco. I'm on the neighborhood safety committee, so they keep me thinking. But now I'm going to add a couple of pots and some rubs to our kit!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Good thinking!!! I hadn't considered seasonings at all! Thank you.
    Judy in San Diego