Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here's a question for the guys on here

Comments

• Rarely cooked before. Now, I cook probably 75% of the meals. The only time I don't cook is when she is home first and pulls out leftovers from the egg to make a meal. She even commented on it last year that sometimes all she has to do is help with a sidedish. She loves it.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I've enjoyed cooking since my college days. This is just one more chapter in the vast world of my culinary enjoyment..
  • davehemp
    davehemp Posts: 109
    I cook 100% of the time. I love my wife, but she is far better with a laptop than a hot glove... I have always enjoyed cooking and I cook outside w/BGE large at least 4-5 times a week. She helps clean up after supper which is cool... Actually, I think her family tree has a genetic mutation which makes them all incapable of cooking. :blink: The first time I took a properly cooked turkey and ham to her mothers for holiday, you would have thought they had seen the second coming - I don't think they ever knew there shoud be some juice in that stuff!!! :laugh:
  • Ku was the main chef, even though I grew up cookin' for family, until we bought the BGE! I taught him how to grill on the Old Smokey I had when we met. When that blew away in the Wyoming wind from our new home, we bought the Weber Kettle that lasted 27 years! Then came our FIRST Big Green Egg! I resumed cookin'!!!!!!!
  • Isn't that the truth!!
  • I did the bulk of the cooking in this house for nigh on 20 years now. The egg was a happy add on, but not the reason I started cooking.

Doug
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Started fooling around cooking about a year pre egg. After getting the egg started cooking more and next ting you know I have taken over the responsibilities of cooking 90% of the time, egg and stove. Took a few classes and really feel comfortable in the kitchen now. I work from home3 a lot so I like to prepare dinner for the wife when she comes home. She works harder than me also. It's been a few years now and it's been quite a journey B)
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    I cook ALL the time, pre-egg also. My wife will help with the sides but I always do the main course.
  • My wife will make tacos. That's it. She will also reheat leftovers so we play a game where I ask her how she made the dinner that night and she tries reply with what I did the night before. Funny stuff.
  • snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    I have been seperated for a few years, so now I have great fun cooking all of the time. When married I cooked around 30% of the time.
    I can't use my egg much due to lack of some equipment and even lump, that does not cost me an arm or a leg, but I am finding solutions to those issues.
    I now teach my daughters to prepare things for the egg and they love it.
    I went to a working dinner the other night in a top resto near here the other night. It cost around 120 bucks a head. Was very dull prawns, steak and veggies. I just told the guys next time we eat at my house off the egg. Work can pay for the lump. Lol. The egg opens up a new dimension on cooking. When guests come they are sceptic. When they leave they are convinced. When vegitarians come they leave as carnivors (happened twice now).
  • Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    I have always cooked on our outside grill but my wife will occasionally cook on the gasser. She thinks it is easier to get going. Since the Egg, I am looking for different items to cook. I am probably cooking healthier now than before the Egg. It is more enjoyable to cook greens, yellows and reds on the egg.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Hey Julie, Before my BGE I grilled on my gasser. I never even had a meat thermometer nor did I learn how to grill a steak by touch. My cooks were simply hit and miss. :blush: I cooked some in the house but, Cindy is the primary cook there.

Today we have 2 large BGE's and we cook meals we never tried before. I am the primary cook using the BGE although Cindy helps in every way. Today we grill and bake, sear and low temp slow cook. We cure meats and smoke them and make our own rubs as well as sauces and marinades and brines. Today short of this forum going down there is no stopping us. Because of the BGE forum our menu has improved and grew thanks to many unselfish eggheads. What can I say? Thanks to the members of the BGE forum our lives have changed. Just wish I could make it to more egg-fests. ;)
  • Defiantly cook more than the wife....Always have!
    I am the "Bull Cook" (chief cook, maintenance dept. and bottle washer) here for the past 28 years.
    In regard to how long I've been cooking?? It's now 55 years :ohmy: !
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Cloths wash'en and cook'ens woman folk work. Grill'en manley work!! :whistle: :laugh: Like you Doreen bought our first Egg. I thought she was nuts! :laugh: I never cooked before cept maybe a little grilling on gutted gasser. Guys at work say best $800 chief she could ever find! Untill all this OT I was cooking half the meals that were formal. She will take left over meat and add cornbread and sides for other meals as well.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Depends. With my work schedule my wife usually cooks. When I'm off we usually are running one direction or other and often grab something out. Tis the life with young kids I guess.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    while we both worked we shared 75 (her) - 25 (me) mainly because she routinely got home 3 hours earlier than I every week day. Then 11 years ago after buying our first egg it went 50 - 50. Now that I've been retired 6 years I'd say I do 70% and Pat does 30%. There are still and always will be "her dishes" that we love and I wouldn't dare say let me try that! BTW we very seldom ever eat out at night - though we each catch a bite separately on Saturday for lunch.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Julie, the other half’s name says it all KayNOcook! :laugh:
    I have always cooked more than Kay; I had more time to do the cooking when she worked. She is a great cook but would rather have someone else do it. I love to cook and shop at the grocery store: woohoo: she hates the grocery store. :angry:
    I most certainly do cook more since the Egg entered our life.
    Kay wants no part in starting a fire in the Egg but is a great helper when I’m cooking on the Egg and when we had the Weber gasser she never cooked on either.
    Jupiter Jim :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I cook 100% of the meals, indoors & out. Wife will bake cookies, etc. occasionally -- that's about it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i've been cooking most of my life,., mom was an only child and had no idea what to do with boys so she tought me about cooking when i was little . i cooked for the family for a while after Dad died and Mom remarried i got home first and mom was tired.. cooked for myself for 4 yrs grad school.. once married i was the griller.. til i realized the ex had a problem with butter and sugar so i began baking and making the holida meals . last 20+ i have been cooking for the bottomless pits.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Michael, I did not expect these answers either! it is funny cause our boys both cook and the youngest does most of the cooking in his house. think the grandson is going to be the same way. not even two yet and he wants to help daddy bad! glad to see so many men that were in the kitchen to begin with
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    now we have to get the woman out there plowing the driveway, scraping and painting the house, repairing the vehicles, etc :laugh: supposed to be 50/50 right ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Great question Julie, I never cooked pre-egg :blush: my better half still does the bread-n-butter cooking, my egging is just a hobby :blush:
    Gary
    canuckland
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    My wife does most of that stuff...

Shhh..

Michael
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Julie, you posed a great question that has generated a ton of interesting responses. I always enjoyed cooking, but since getting my large BGE I have assumed a greater portion of the cooking responsibilities, although my wife is a very good cook in the kitchen. This forum, and the people on here, has inspired me to try things I would never have considered pre-BGE. I always thought I could do OK on pizzas (in the oven) but I have learned so much from this forum about making pizzas, and only cook them on the egg now. This forum is a fantastic resource.

Uglydog
  • I worked at a very nice restaurant when I was in college and learned that I liked cooking there. Always been into it since!

Wish I could cook more but do about 4 nights a week. Fri, Sat and Sun. and usually one other day... I am not very dependable during the week because of the job though the family tries to eat on a schedule....
  • fishlessman
    im single, so none of that gets done here :laugh: :laugh: :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Fish, me to here :lol: :P
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • fishlessman
    when your done, come over here and do mine :laugh: :laugh: if it helps i could write you out a honey do list and hang it on the fridge for you :laugh: do honey do lists go both ways too, only seen those one way :laugh: im just kidding molly ;) its just hard to find a girl that makes enough money that i can quit my job, fish all day, come home to dinner while she puts the boat away :)
    fukahwee maine

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    :laugh: :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Hi Jules!! Hey, I almost never cooked, and when I did, everyone ran the other way. Since I got my Egg and got on the forum, like Leroy, I started learning how to cook. Actually, my kids call up and ask me to cook when they come to visit. I've been in a slump lately...mainly because I've been really busy at my office and I get home too late to cook. I had been cooking 2 to 3 times per week in the summer and fall. Now I'm cooking about once a week. Once things slow down, I'll be back at it. :)
    Brian