Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here's a question for the guys on here

Options
Mainegg
Mainegg Posts: 7,787
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How many of you cooked pre-egg? Neil has always cooked some, maybe 1-2 nights a week and he does cook more now. I am the main cook and egger in our family, but I am the one who bought the first one too.
Do you find you cook more than the wife? or maybe I just should say to the other half's on here :)I know a few of you never really cooked on a reg basis. and I know I have cooked many things that I never would have pre egg. how about you?

Comments

• EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    I've always cooked about 90% of our meals. It's just an issue of schedules. I get home at 4:30, my wife at 7:30
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    i've always cooked 100% of the time. 100%. from the rooter to the tooter.
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    Options
    I cook about 98% of all meals in our house, wife has a few recipies that she does but I do most of the cooking
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    i have always enjoyed cooking... now with eggs, i cook all the time...no complaints from the other half, since my cooks ain't half bad B)

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    I've always cooked at least 50% of the time, if not more. Post BGE I probably cook 75%. My Wife is a good cook but I just enjoy cooking. Now both post and pre BGE I only clean about 15-20% of the time. :whistle: Mike

• Austin Egger
    Options
    I have always cooked 99% of the meat meals. My wife will make some sides and do the baking that I don't end up doing on the egg. We do cook a lot more since I purchased the egg. For the most part, we get really disappointed when we go out and have inferior food, which seems to be most of the time.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have cooked a lot and for a long time, both grilling and in the kitchen. I raised my two kids alone, so cooking was a necessity, but I have always enjoyed cooking/grilling and it has never been a chore. :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    If we are talking total cooking, before the egg wife about 80%.
    After the egg (and after daughter moved off) more like 50/50.
    I do 100% on the egg, but she is getting closer to useing it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    Before moving to the middle of nowhere 6 years ago we ate out 80% of the time the rest of the time we split it 50/50. Now after getting the egg I cook 100% of the time and we don't eat out anymore. for 20 years my wife has cooked Thanksgiving dinner until I did Max's turkey this year. My mother told her (Mom is quite blunt)" your turkey is good, but I think that this method is better" :whistle:
  • UPEgger
    UPEgger Posts: 39
    Options
    Until we got the 1st large egg, most of my "outside" cooking was with dutch ovens and charcoal. Not more than once a week though. We had a weber genesis but did mostly the odd steak and or hamburger stuff. The egg has opened the cooking world considerably. We then started cooking on he egg at least two times a week, sometimes more. Would probably have done it nightly, but leftovers filled the interstices between cooks on the egg. The old wait two days and finish up the rest of "whatever" routine. With the purchase of the mini last month, we are at it most every night now. Just the two of us, and not many leftovers. The wife is the baker, and I do the entres. We also have been doing all of our dutch oven cooks on the egg. Works great, and no more messing with charcoal briquettes. Much more stable temp control and no concerns with wind, cold, rain or ???. UPEgger
  • Tweety
    Tweety Posts: 455
    Options
    Clay has always cooked the meats (grilled or smoked) and I do sides, desserts. But after buying him the XL for father's day 2 years ago...he started cooking twice as much. The way it changed my cooking is that everything I used to cook inside is now cooked on the egg. (We now have 3) It has turned into a passion/hobby for us and we cook every chance we get.
  • UPEgger
    UPEgger Posts: 39
    Options
    I think most Egg owner/operators can say: "since purchasing the egg we seldom go out to eat". That is true with us. UPEgger
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    cool responses.. so most of you guys did the bulk of the cooking anyways.. I guess I directed it at the guys cause it is mostly men here and us girls are def the minority. I did always cook many different things, I love to cook and try new things and that has always been my passion. but i have tried things I might not have due to the forum. I am sure I would have discovered a lot to do with the egg, but the forum had sent me in many different directions that I never would have. people like Little Steven with his Indian cuisine and Zippy, Susan with seafood and Stike with some pretty weird things to. and having people like Little Chef to aid us in the technical part of cooking is a bonus you can not put a value on..
    so much to cook and so little time :)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Up until maybe 10 years ago, my wife and I shared most of the cooking, although it was always me doing the BBQ. For a number of reasons, I got "serious" about being able too cook. The 1st Egg purchase was part of that. Now I do about 90% of out cooking. Most of the time, its a pleasure making the food, even if its sometimes not so good. On the evenings when I'm too bushed to bother, my wife is quite happy to do a carry-out :)
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Mainegg, I have done the vast majority of the cooking for years, at least since about 3 years post college. Probably a function of my flexible schedule as opposed to my bride's - but even during the years she didn't work, I probably took 50% of the cooking. Now it's more like 70%. She's a good cook too, just trying to pull my weight around the house! ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    there is a trend out there where a woman will tell you right out that they dont cook, wont be cooking, dont expect them to be cooking :laugh: fortunately for neil it hasn't spread that far north into maine yet :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    About 90% of the time my Sweetie and I share the outside cooking (she preps and I cook). Ribs and Butts I do myself.

It wasn't always that way. I was a horrible cook on my gas grills, even those that cost over $100. Got a Large in 1999 and continued to burn stuff for a few months. Then I found this Forum and for the first time in my life I actually started to turn out decent meals.

Then Spring Hen started liking it, especially at Eggfests. The result was that we turn out even better meals when working together.

I cook breakfast (mostly in the kitchen) but she pretty much cooks all the inside meals.

But if she cooks, I clean up.

Cooking is just a lot more fun with the Egg. Took me almost 60 years to find that out.

Spring "Still Learning" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Interesting question Julie!

I didn't expect the responses you've received thus far.

When Anke and I first got married, I did all the cooking because Anke didn't know how to or was afraid to cook. Then I said "what's the worst that could happen - we have one bad meal and learn from it".

We started sharing the cooking duties at that point. Not long after that Anke cooked everything in the house and I cooked everything outside. Anke gradually got much better at indoor and outdoor cooking than I.

To tip the scale back in my favour, I bought our first Egg. Again, I did all of the cooking outdoors. In Anke's words - "it's way too dirty". Now that we've had the eggs for a while on our egg family has grown, Anke has started cooking on the eggs and kicking my butt.

A few weeks ago, she told me that I should buy another LBGE. I love that women!

Michael
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I cook 98% of the time and do the dishes 100% of the time. I used my weber genesis for steaks and burgers, but not that often. Now I cook on the egg 2-3 times per week. My 9 year old daughter has declared Sunday, BGE Sunday! :laugh:
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I have cooked most of the meals in my home for over 24 years. My wife is a great cook but it has always been a stress reliever after a day of work. In the past I have used gassers, charcoal kettle, and Brinkman smokers.

Pre-Egg I only grilled in the summer and rarely during the winter. Post-Egg, I got mine last year, I cook outside 3 to 4 times a week. Everything from grilling, low and slo, to baking on the Egg.

Now that our daughter is off to college and I travel at least every other week I am likely to cook extra meals, to take with me when I am gone and so that my wife can choose to cook, or not. I love trying new recipes and methods, pre-Egg to use a rub was just salt and pepper maybe some garlic salt, now I love to try different rubs.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • bangor307
    bangor307 Posts: 139
    Options
    When our kids were growing up and I traveled for my job quite a bit my wife did most of the cooking. The last 15 years I've done almost all of the cooking.

Patty will do an occasional meal if I'm working late and she's a darn good cook. :)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Julie,

Norma calls the fridge and stove the big hot thing and the big cold thing ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    I have always done most of the cooking,partly due to schedules, but I also enjoy cooking (I cook at the firehouse most of the time to). The egg and the forum have broadened my culinary horizons imensly, and now that it's just the two of us, we cook together most of the time.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I cooked for myself as soon as I left home. Before the egg it was offset smoker, before that water smokers, before that gassers and Weber kettles. I enjoy the creative process of cooking food and eating well. Cooking outdoors with a live fire is something I'll always do, it was only a matter of time that I found the egg to be the perfect cooker for me. That's why I have 4. :)

See ya soon at the party. (I'm bringing my small egg with us to Florida.)
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I have cooked since I was 17 when I complained one night about what my working mother made for dinner. She made me cook the meals for the following week as punishment, although I think my family actually paid the price.
    And as my Dad always told me, "You get exactly what you want for dinner every night when you do the cooking".
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I do most all of the cooking now. Before the egg, I used a weber gas grill and I now realize I had no idea how to grill. The egg and this forum has taught me how to grill and smoke things I would have never imagined a few years ago. Yrs go, if someone would have handed me an 8 lb prime ribeye roast and said cook this for dinner, I would have laughed at them. Now we have friends wanting to come to our house for dinner and drinks instead of going out. Thanks to all who have responded to all of my questions!
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Julie,

This is Jessica, Ripnem's wife. Pre egg I did most of the cooking, albeit it was mostly out of a box. Adam has always been the griller in the family. Once the first egg was hatched at the house I would honestly say I maybe have cooked 5 meals. The egg was delivered Dec. '08. I have cooked one meal on the egg, liked the results but honestly, if you have someone else to cook for you, then heck, enjoy the fruits of others' labor!!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Sure cooked pre-egg on my wood brick - oven, but never with the efficiency or variety of the egg & certainly without this great forum family. Wife's a great cook but never cooked on the egg :whistle:
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    Little Steven wrote:
    Julie,

Norma calls the fridge and stove the big hot thing and the big cold thing ;)

Steve

my wife has to be related. she thinks you "melt meat"...
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I always cooked a lot but my traveling companion did the majority up until 2004. Since then, my first retirement, I do 95% of the cooking in and outside. My traveling companion says she had the first 30 years and I have the second 30 years. :)