Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Finish repair?

Tim FowlerTim Fowler Posts: 30
edited 11:38AM in EggHead Forum
I just noticed one of my eggs has a dime sized piece of the green finish missing on the dome.

Does anyone know of a matching touch up paint that would be heat resistant? Thanks

Comments

• Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I found some small jars of paint at my local Ace Hardware that I used. It is not labeled as heat resistant, but it has held up on a small nick in the rim of the dome for about two years.
    Color was nearly identical. :)
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,300
    see your dealer - they have what you need and there shouldn't even be a cost to you.
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re-gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time...

• I didn't think finish was covered under warranty, but my dealer is an Ace Hardware, so I guess if one option doesn't work I can try the other. Thanks
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,300
    that "finish" isn't paint - it is a glazed ceramic. Depending on how that spot popped off you could even have a warranty claim for a replacement dome. OTOH if it was user error you're on your own. I had a couple minor spots before I knew BGE dealers carried touch up paint and I just took my rain cap as a color reference to an art store and matched up perfect with a $2 container of acrylic paint.
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re-gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time...

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 21,846
    was told mine was covered by bge. look in the center of the chip, if there is something that looks like a pebble thats not bonded into the ceramic its unmixed ceramic before firing which is a defect. if its not there it would be hard to prove it wasnt bumped with something like an ash tool etc
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    'Hunter Green' at Home Depot.