Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

photo saver?

Options
Susan Egglaine
Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
edited November -1 in Off Topic
When I was looking for a photo this morning, I had to look way back in Photo bucket to find the one I was looking for. I do not use photobucket now. These pics I just have saved in photo bucket not anywhere else. What can I store these on & the ones I have in folders? Is there a disc or plug in thing where I can store these for easy viewing & posting?

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Hey Susan!

I am no expert in any stretch, but what I do is to have a folder on my laptop with all my forum related pics (mine & others)
    and on occassion back that folder up on a USB thumb drive. Tumbdrives are cheap . . . just saw an 8GB for $25.

HTH
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Thanks! Do you know about how many photos an 8GB holds?
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Depends how large the file is coming off your camera.
    Mine are normally close to 1 MB when taken and then I used a freebie photo program called Irfanview and reduce them down by 35% and the resultant files are usually around 100KB. Saves lots of time uploading and space on which ever website you upload them too.

I know the math doesn't addup, but that is on the average both before and after.

HTH
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    O.K. got most all my files on a jump drive but do not know how to get the pics in photo bucket on there. I do not have them saved in a file. Any suggestions?
  • loco_engr
    Options
    Susan:

I know you can right click on each photo and do a "Save picture as" to a folder on your hard drive. That would be a pretty intensive project if you have a lot of pic there.
    Another option might be to do a "View All" in PB and then make a shortcut to that page of all your pics in PB. That would assume PB would never lose your pics though.

HTH

Maybe someone will chime in with a way to a "batch save pic as" method.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    There are a couple of options to store your photos in an organized way. It can cost some money though. I use Adobe Photoshop Lightroom which allows you to organize your pictures and back them up automatically to a secondary drive or server. It also has links to Flickr, facebook and Smug Mug directly. Meanwhile you keep the originals on your PC.

Like I said it is not cheap ($299) but I would not trade it for anything.

Now there is another Adobe Product which is about $79-$149 called Adobe Phostoshop Elements 9. This one I think does similar things but does not offer all the bells and whistles. Still for a non-professional photographer it does most everything. It allows you to upload photos directly to Flickr, Facebook and Smug Mug, I think it gives you 20G of storage online to backup your photos.

Another option is a free program from Google called Picasa. I used it years ago and there are 3 new versions since I used it, so can't really give good advice on it.

Not sure how you can pull things off Photo bucket.. Once you send stuff to the internet it can be hard to do bulk downloads.

I would also recommend you figure out a way to autobackup your files on your pc via an external drive or something. I back my photos up every time I close Lightroom.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    be careful.. those 100k files may be fine for the screen, but they won't print very well at all.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante