Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burned Pizza

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I keep getting a REALLY burnt crust on my pizzas. I get a dome temp around 400-450,and am burnt within 10 minutes. I preheat my stone, is that the problem? Please help!

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    srgtek,[p]you got it. a preheated stone will burn your crusts.
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Options
    srgtek,
    Do you use a platesetter or some method of indirect heat? I haven't tried this yet but others have suggested wiping the stone with a damp rag before putting your pizza on the stone. I also read on this forum about having the bottom vent open more and closing the top down quite a ways to trap heat in the dome to cook the toppings better. Good luck!

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]I thought the whole idea behind using a pizza stone WAS to pre-heat it so it would make a nice crust?
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Yazoo,[p]That is what I do. I hold a temp of 550 degrees for atleast 30 minutes to heat the egg, platesetter and stone before I start the first pizza. I use a pizza screen when doing a hand tossed crust and no screen for super-thin crusts. [p]Steve-B
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    srgtek,[p]What did you use for dough? I have found some doughs/dough recipes are more apt to burn than others. [p]Steve-B
  • Eggsellent
    Options
    srgtek,
    We use T-Rex's pizza method which works for us. Here's the link to his pizza - but basically this is what he does:[p]platesetter feet-down, pizza stone, and PIZZA SCREEN (which really helps prevent burning on the bottom of the pizza IMHO).[p]Play with the temp - we go around 500-550, but T-Rex does 600-700 I believe. Preheat the pizza stone for about 15 minutes, then throw the pizza on. Too much pre-heating will burn the dough. No pre-heating will sometimes result in a cracked pizza stone.[p]Copied from T-Rex's site...
    If you've let the ceramics sit at temperature for at least 20 minutes or so, you should be able to shut your daisy wheel a good bit and leave your draft door about half way while still maintaining about 600 degrees. Closing down the daisy wheel is key to getting the hot air to recirculate onto the top of your pizza and cook your toppings, rather than short-circuiting straight out your chimney. Shutting the bottom draft door half-way is key to preventing too much oxygen which tends to give you flames which lick and burn the edges of your crust.[p]HTH
    Molly

[ul][li]T-Rex Pizza Method[/ul]
  • Eggsellent,[p]I'm ignorant of what a pizza screen is. I just use the grill extension to elevate my stone up to the lip. This was recommended to me by the guy at the Egg Store. I do not use the ceramic plate setter. He said the extension was better.
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    srgtek,[p]"I do not use the ceramic plate setter. He said the extension was better."[p]There are a few people I've seen who have posted saying they don't use a platesetter when making pizza. However, by far and away the vast majority use a platesetter with their pizza stone. Get a platesetter. It's a very versatile accessory and you'll use it a LOT. OTOH - I, like many others, hardly ever use my extended grid.
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    If you want to try a less expensive alternate, and something I advise using ANYWAY, buy a couple pizza screens. I say two because it's handy to cook on one while prepping another. Here's an online source, if you're unable to find them locally.[p]Pizza Equipment - A Best Kitchen