Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you remove hot Plate Setter?

Options
Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 975
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was looking at WessB's Baby Backs done 3/1/1.5 receipe and I came acroos this sentence "The final, and most involved, step of the cook.
After roughly 45 minutes of indirect cooking you will want to remove all of you indirect setup, and it will be HOT". How does one remove a hot plate Setter? Please remember I will only be getting my later this week and I am not familiar with the egg components yet.[p]John

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    VERY CAREFULLY! I use a couple of leather hotpads. You could use leather gloves, too.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,[p]I've got a big thick pair of "Fireplace" gloves that I use for the hot jobs. Got them a Lowes.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Retired RailRoader, leather welder's gloves with the high cuff should be in your toy box.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • smokeydrew
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,[p]I got a pair of welding gloves and they are able to withstand the heat for plenty of time to remove the platesetter. I have also heard of and seen the orca mitts, but have not tried them.[p]-smokeydrew
    [ul][li]orca mitt[/ul]
  • Fisheyes
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    I just got these gloves called "Ove Gloves." They are thin enough that I can pick up small things, but they have excellent heat resistance. I can hold a 550+ F plate setter for about 15 seconds. That gives me enough time to take it out and set it on the bricks that I have on the ground. When I use the gloves in conjunction with oven pads/mits, I feel no heat transfer at all.[p]Brad

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    dont have a plate setter, i use fire bricks instead. use a good quality welding glove with long cuffs. and wear them when you think there is a possibility of flash backs. wearing them reminds you to stand back when opening a hot egg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    i suggested just the other day that the Lawn Ranger needs to invent a new tool for removing plate setters. . .i envision something like an old fashioned pair of ice tongs. .. otherwise i use a couple of old hot pads, doubled up.... that sucker is hot. . ..

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    As important as getting the plate setter out is, just as important is having a stable, heatproof, place to set it down. I set mine on fire brick to avoid scorching the porch.[p]Ken

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    This one is for Backer
    Snoop Dog says "be careful, and do not ""Drop it like it's hot""
    Actually, I have no idea if Mark likes snoop, but thought if he did he would get a kick out of that.
    Seth

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Crab leg,[p]Love snoop, but my favorite snoop song is a cover by the band the gourdes (sp) of his classic "Gin and Juice." I have it as an mp3 and could email it to you. [p]It rocks.[p]As for removing the hot platesetter, what I do is set either a second grid or the grid extender on top of my table. Then i put on my welder's gloves and grab a couple of kitched towels quartered to use as hot pan holders. Then just pick it up and set it down GENTLY on the grid extender or extra grid. In a pinch, I've simply set it on my deck and that's worked fine too.[p]Mark "laid back, with my mind on my money and my money on my mind" Backer
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    Welding gloves.
    Mark

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    The Orca mitts work great. I have even stirred the hot coals before. The advantage to these these is you can stick them down in boiling water or hot oil as well.[p]When you get them all mucked up from Q-ing, throw them in in the dishwasher and they are as good as new.[p]Silicone is a wonderful product.

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]And it has so many cough cough "other" uses too...[p]LOL[p]seriously, I need to get me some of them there orca mitts. Now, I remember a previous model of Orca took off Richard Harris' leg but gave us Bo Derek in a wet t-shirt. Will modern Orcas do that as well?
  • James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,[p]I use heavy duty tongs, that I purchase from the restaurant supply store.[p]
    [ul][li]You can check them out here[/ul]
  • James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    James,[p]I should have pointed out that it takes 2 pair.[p]I also use these as grid lifters.[p]I also use the Ash tool as a grid lifter. Does anyone else do that?[p]
  • Bobby-Q, The Orca mitts are as great as you say. Have used them to clean the Eggs out at contests so they could cool down. Bought another pair of similar gloves at BJ's for a lot less to use at home so I didn't have to get the others out of the cook trailer. Being able to wash them is another great thing about them.[p]Good Eggin,
    Poppasannm

• Retired RailRoader,
    I use channel lock pliers to pick up/move plate setter , grills , any thing thats hot...

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Gee, I guess I'm really low tech. I just use potholders. Haven't had any problems, course I don't stand around holding the thing all day either! LOL
  • SnowEgg
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    Wells Lamont leather gloves work just fine.