Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question: Low and Slow Ribs on an XL

jaymag_87
jaymag_87 Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay. So I had my first cook on me XL BGE. Two Papa Murphy's Pizzas. Burned the bottom on one a bit, but I'm pretty sure I have the solution on that one. Overall they turned out great. I had a heck of a time dialing in the temp. I have a lot to learn. :blush:

Tomorrow I plan to smoke some Baby Backs. The plan is a basteggization of the Car Wash Mike recipe. So I'm thinking 200-250 for about 4-5 hours, with a little applewood.

So here is my question: Do I try to stop the temperature rise on the way up to 250, or get it hotter and try to bring it down? I had a devil of a time dialing in around 425 for the pizza. At one point I had the bottom and top vents barely open and the temp kept slowly rising. It just seemed to keep getting hotter and hotter. I finally got it close enough to work. :whistle:

Comments

• Easier to go up in temp than down. Once the ceramic heats up takes more time to dial it back down so you are always better off not over shooting your target temp.
  • Easier to go up in temp than down. Once the ceramic heats up takes more time to dial it back down so you are always better off not over shooting your target temp.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Go to THIS link and bookmark it. It is a great list of help compiled by our good friend Grandpas Grub. About 13 items down on the list you will find a link to "A guide to Vent Settings & what is clear smoke" that might be of help. :)

Welcome to the forum,

Blair

• jaymag_87
    Thanks for the help and info.

Y'all have both helped me confirm that I am currently more Knucklehead than Egghead. :lol:
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

We all start that way I think. Don't hesitate with the questions, someone always has an answer. :)

Blair

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    This is what I do on my XL for 225* low and slow with Butt or Brisket. Since low and slow is is code for" this is going to take a long time to cook" I usually plan them for my first cook after I have cleaned out the ashes and start with a FULL LOAD of fresh lump,( @10Lb). I'm one of those people who load the lump by hand,larger on bottom,smaller on top. I feel this gives (me) improved airflow.I light the lump right in the middle and put the platesetter in. I put daisey wheel on wide open and open the bottom all the way with screen closed. When the dome gets to 200* I close the draft door down to @ two inches of screen.I open the lid pull the platesetter, add wood at the leading edge of the fire,and put the ps back in.I then put the drip pan,grid,and meat on.All this was done in @ a minute.Close the lid,close the wheel disc. open the wheel petal holes wide open.At this point I am getting a dose of cooler smoke while the dome temp comes up.When it gets back up to 210* I close the draft to about an inch and close the petals to half.Depending on wind conditions ,my egg will usually settle between 225 and 250. I use a fire ring for quicker smokes like ribs, chicken,and sausage.This provides a whole different song to dance to when it comes to setting the temp.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • jaymag_87
    Thanks. This'll give me a starting point.
  • On a large, but here you go! St. Louis ribs from Costco. Cooked at 222 for 4.5 hours with Jack Daniels chips. They were great
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    BrettRoeder Are you the Brett Roeder that went to SLV High school?
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.