Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calzone question...

Options
55drum
55drum Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had great results on my XL baking these...however..we occasionally have a large group of people over whereas everyone makes their own zone and I cook it....first batch that comes off is nearly perfect everytime...but as I continue to cook the next 3 or 4 batches..I have to really keep an eye on them or they'll burn on the bottom...this is despite the fact that I'm maintaining the dome around 475..

I use the plate setter legs up, then the grill & then a pizza stone.

I'm suspect that the stone does not cool down as fast as the dome temperature.

Whats the trick?? Thanks

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    55drum,

You may want to try the setter legs down, green feet and then the stone. It may be that you are getting too much convection under your stone with that much space. Let me know if this helps cause I would like to know myself.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    I agree with Little Steven, on the set up you should have a space?air gap for the stone and legs down. Plus try wiping the stone with a wet washcloth between cooks it helps cool the stone. Works great for cooking my pizzas ;)B)
  • Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    Options
    I have the same issue when I make pizza. The stone just gets too hot after a while. Once I see it getting too hot I use parchment paper under them. It works like a charm

Ed
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Options
    I ran into the same problem where the stone seem to get too hot and the crust cook way too fast but that night I cook 15 pizzas...

Yes, my set-up was legs down but it cross my mind to increase the gab between the plate setter and the pizza stone by simply using bigger copper....

Jeff, I love your idea of cooling the pizza stone with a washcloth or old wet rag.

Ed, I tried with keeping the pie into a pizza plate, it ws better than directly on the pizza stone but I will try with a parchment paper.
    Marc