Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

new term to me...what's is 2" UP mean?

RRPRRP Posts: 16,154
edited 2:19AM in EggHead Forum
Today I bought this beautiful rib eye sub primal from SAMS and have it headed to aging glory in a Drybag. After trimming the hard thick fat it still weighed 16# on the nose. It was packaged by Excel, stamped Angus Choice, but also stated on the Sam's label was Rib Eye 2" UP. What's that mean?

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

PS I had 12 of them to pick from and I examined the end caps of every last one looking for the marbling pattern. I'm happy to say I got a good looking one with uniform marbling. YIPPEE!
Ron
Dunlap, IL

Comments

• Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Nice looking hunk of meat there, but I don't recall any such designation from my Slaughter Labs at A&M. But then again, that's been awhile! ;)
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC03099.jpg

Usually "up" and "dn" are used to identify weight ranges. This case of briskets contained ones 9 pounds and heavier. Don't know what the 2" refers to.... unless they mean it would be a shame to cut them thinner than 2" thick. Hehehee.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    You know you're slingin alot of meat if your refered to by the local grocers as "the bbq guy". :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    My thought also. :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,766
    Hey Brad, do you think it is a reference to the original backfat measurement? I have always heard the up/down being compared to weight, but that is the only reason I can figure why an " measurement would be on there.
    But that just seems to be way too much for a choice carcass. I rememebr ultrasounding and looking for .25-.4
  • jaymag_87jaymag_87 Posts: 108
    Austin
    Were I to do my time in Aggieland again, there are a couple meats classes I would want to take. Unfortunately, I don't think Meats classes are Elective classes for Building Construction majors. :lol:
  • I think that is refering to 2" + on the lip on ribeye, or the excess lip that hasnt been trimmed. But it's been a while since I was in meat dept.
    One of the general classes in Gainesville (Go Gators)when I was there was called "The meat we eat" and was popular for a variety of majors.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,154
    hmmmm, that makes some sense in that I trimmed 1.2# of hard fat from the small side "lip". Can't say that I whacked away any 2" worth, but a bunch just the same.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    I'm seriously in the dark here....but I just took the lab class as part of Animal Science....I would guess one of our butcher friends here could answer.
  • tach18ktach18k Posts: 1,607
    Maybe be it code for "It might fit 2 inches up yours" I may be wrong.
    tach18k wrote:
    Maybe be it code for "It might fit 2 inches up yours" I may be wrong.

OUCH! :laugh:
  • I saw those at Sam's last Saturday myself, but I can't tell you what it means.