Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ewwwwwwwww! I cleaned raw seafood...and LIVED!!!!

Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had six shrimp in the shells to prepare. It's the only fresh seafood I will eat, like in Sizzling Honey Walnut Shrimp in Chinese restaurants. But I have never cooked it myself.

I put on latex gloves and used a tool to split the shell and devein them. Why do I have the tool? I certainly don't know, must have been from a husband. Look--it was made in Japan so you know how long ago THAT was.

IMG_0057.jpg

What to do with them next? Again, I don't know. I found a shrimp recipe in the archives that used a simple olive oil-parsley marinade so I did that. Added a bit of Tsunami Spin.

IMG_0058.jpg

Put them on the Mini at about 375°. I knew they cooked quickly so I flipped them but I think it was a tad too long. I had half a baked potato left over so I cooked that too.

IMG_0060.jpg

Well, I was underwhelmed but I ate it all.

IMG_0062.jpg

At least I had dessert to look forward to. I went to a neighboring town to scope out Harbor Freight, a tool warehouse chain hereabouts. Tool heaven! And near a bakery I saw reviewed in the paper. The eclair and the almond thing were awful, but the Raspberry Whipped Cream Napoleon? Was worth every gallon of gas it took to get there!

IMG_0064.jpg

WILL SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO COOK SHRIMP/PRAWNS/WHATEVER?
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Lots of ways, boil, stuff and then cook sear, grill smoke. What is your preference.Just remember when they start to go pink they are getting ready and DO NOT overcook.

Here is a great recipe.

Shrimp, Grilled, Spicy, AZRP

I've made these at several fests now and am always asked, what did you put on these? Here it is. -RP

INGREDIENTS:
    1 15-20 Ct Shrimp, peeled to the last section leaving the tail for a handle, butterflied
    2 Clove Garlic, minced
    1 Tsp Kosher salt
    1 Tsp Paprika
    1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
    2 tsp Lemon juice
    2 Tbs Olive oil

Procedure:
    1 These shrimp are really killer. The recipe comes from a Mark Bittman cook book, and about the only thing you can do wrong with it is to over cook the shrimp, or try to use ones that are too small and they fall through the grid. I use the frozen U-15 ones from Sam's club. Take 1 Tbs of kosher salt and 2 garlic cloves(minced) and mash them into a paste with the side of your knife or a mortar and pestal(easier). Add to that paste 1 tsp paprika, ½ tsp cayene pepper, 2 tsp lemon juice, and 2 Tbs olive oil. Thaw and peel the shrimp, all but the tail section, for a handle. Butterfly them by cutting down the back halfway through the shrimp. If they have a vein remove it now. Mix the shrimp with the marinade then grill direct. Go about 2 minutes on the first side at about 400 dome, when they start to curl up, flip them and watch until they curl fairly tight and remove immediately. Some of them won't curl tight but you can pretty much tell when they are done, don't overcook! Let them rest for a few minutes and enjoy. -RP
    2 2008/04/26---Just get them coated and grill them. The citrus will start to toughen the shrimp if you marinate them very long. -RP

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, AZRP, 2007/09/24
  • Judy Mayberry
    Thank you, my friend. I'm printing it out right now. I have lots of latex gloves.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Richard Fl
    As you advance in your seafood creations, you can take shrimp, scallops, FRESH fish and marinate in lime olive oil cilantro or variations and have seviche.

Seviche, Richard

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Lb. Cod, Snapper or other Mild Fish, Fresh
    2 Ribs Celery, Thinly Sliced
    1 Small Onion, Sliced Thinly
    1 Can, Small Green Clilis, Chopped
    2 Tbs. Cilantro, Chopped
    3 Tbs. Pepper, Red, Diced
    2 Cups Lime Juice
    1/2 Cup Orange Juice
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    Dash Tobasco

PROCEDURE:
    1 Cut fish into bite size pieces, removing any bones. Combine everything in a glass container. Mix well, cover and refrigerate 6-8 hours or overnight.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Fish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Judy,

Very funny! Shrimp look great. You're ready for some squid and crab now :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Judy Mayberry
    Richard, is that 1 lb. of shrimp? The unit is left out.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Thank you dearie, but this is as far as I'll go. Some things simply won't advance!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Richard Fl
    Yes. 15-20 means that there are that many shrimp per pound. Some times with heads on and sometimes with no heads. If you buy them with heads on either cook with the heads to retain some flavor or pop the heads and place in the freezer until you have 3-4 pounds heads and boil to make a stock. Great in paella, chioppino and other seafood mixes.

Here is my favorite shrimp recipe, but you already know that.

Shrimp, Snow White Prawn, Yen Yen

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Eggs Whites Only, Beaten Stiff
    3-6 Per Guest Shrimp, 16-20 Count
    Sauce:
    1/2 Cup Mayonnaise, Thick/Sweet, Japanese, Oriental
    1/2 Ozs Coconut Milk
    3-4 Shakes Crushed Red Pepper, 1 Tsp.
    Pinch White Pepper, Fine
    1/4 Oz. Gran Marnier, little for flavor, Optional
    1/2 Oz. Orange Juice, little for light flavor
    Garnish:
    Iceberg Lettuce, Thinly Sliced
    Orange Slices or Wedges, Orange zest for color and flavor
    Sprinkle a few white sesame seeds on the top when serving

PORTIONS OF SAUCE ARE STILL BEING PLAYED WITH SO TRY YOUR WAY
    1 Shrimp, peel, devein, butterfly.
    2 Lay on tray that will fit in fridge, place saran wrap or wax paper on tray, lay shrimp, cover with second layer. Place second tray on top to flatten, place in fridge until chilled, 30-60 min?
    3 Lightly dredge in Cornstarch, Rice, or Tapioca Flour, then in egg white.
    4 Deep fry 350° F. 3-5 min. Use peanut oil if available or vegetable.
    Sauce:
    1 Mix all indredients.
    2 Lay shrimp over thinly sliced bed of iceburg lettuce.
    3 Serve chilled sauce over shrimp, Shrimp hot, Sauce chilled.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Source: Yen-Yen Restaurant, Cocoa Beach, Florida, 2005/05/25

After 5 years of eating this delightful meal, this is my best guess for duplication. Richard

2009/09/25---Had lunch today and have updated the dish.
  • Judy Mayberry
    BIG Little Steven:

I have four kids, each has a spouse, they LOVE all those marine permutations, so I've had lots of opportunity to widen my horizons. Crab and lobster are too sweet; I would DIE before I'd eat anything with tentacles, and ordinary fish smell....well, fishy.

I do like canned tuna for tuna salad, though! Does that make me more normal?
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Oh yes, that one is already in the front of my files from the first time you posted it!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Little Steven
    Judy,

My wife is off seafood too. Some people just don't like some things. Heck, I wont eat balogna ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Congratulations Judy! Great job! At least the little rascals weren't heads on and you didn't have their little tiny eyes looking back at you! Wrapped in bacon and BBQ'd is one of my favorites or just peal n' eat with a little cocktail sauce. Sorry you were underwhelmed by it.

What's the next challenge in sea food preparation? Lobster??? all you do is dump them in a pot of hot water and don't listen to them for the first few minutes while they struggle to get out. :laugh:

Blair

• Richard Fl
    You keep trying seafood, pretty soon you might like raw or lightly steamed clams and oysters with lemon, horseradish and crackers. Shot of tequila helps make the pain go away.
  • Judy Mayberry
    WHAT is wrong with you? A bologna sandwich with mayo and lettuce is comfort food! Maybe some mustard. I'm not part of that outlaw 'Loney Gang with the weird names, either.

Here's my story: My mommy told me that when she was pregnant with me, whenever she passed a fish store (back in the days when there WERE fish stores) she would get nauseated and have to find an alley so she could throw up. All my life she adored seafood and from my very earliest memory I myself hated it, even the smell of it.

Go figure.
    Judy in San Diego
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    we just cookem :laugh: :laugh: ive seen people clean them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Judy Mayberry
    Richard, GIVE UP!!! NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Richard Fl
    Tequila has been known to lower many inhibitions.
  • Judy Mayberry
    I can do that a lot cheaper with just beer! (GOOD beer, that is.)
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Blair:

I have never laughed so hard as I have been at the delicious sense of humor all you guys have. I'm not squirming, just laughing at all the aquatic temptations thrown at me. Remember that classic scene in "Annie Hall" with the lobsters?

It's fine with me to see other people eat 'em. Keep me laughing, I love it.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Judy, Darlin', fresh fish don't smell. If they do, find another market.

And CANNED tuna?! Lordy. Find a nice thick tuna steak (fresh, no smell) and do this with it...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/pan-seared-tuna-with-avocado-soy-ginger-and-lime-recipe2/index.html

Leave out the avocado though. Avocados suck. :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Just my opinion....but shrimp NEED garlic! B)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Did you actually make that?

Whoops, I left out one fresh fish that was outstanding. I was sailing is the middle of the Pacific and the Captain caught a fish (can't think of the name of it but I'll know it if I hear it) and we had it for dinner. It was absolutely delicious, you're right.

He also made some seviche from it, which I didn't eat. Unfortunately he had more of it the next day...and we had no refrigeration...and I have never seen anyone sicker in my entire life. I had to man the tiller but luckily we were in the doldrums so I had little to do for the next 24 hours.

That's my fresh fish story.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    Yes, I've done that tuna cook a number of times, Judy. I like it with some rice and grilled asparagus. NO avocado!! Couple of years ago, I cooked it for mom - who HATES tuna. She still talks about what a great meal that was!

See, there's hope! Just don't buy it if it "smells like fish".

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Judy Mayberry
    Michael, have you ever tasted guacamole? With tortilla chips? Just curious.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    of course I have. :sick:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Judy Mayberry wrote:
    ...the Raspberry Whipped Cream Napoleon? Was worth every gallon of gas it took to get there!

Now that is funny!!! Looks really good.

Your shrimp sounded and looked like it should have been good.

Kent
  • Judy Mayberry
    Kent, It was rather dry and not a good "mouth feel" if you know what I mean. I'm sure it was cooked just a moment too long. It looked pretty in the picture but it wasn't succulent like in the Chinese restaurant.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Little Steven
    Judy

My story doesn't come from the womb. Many years ago I worked in the packing and processing industry. I don't eat hot dogs, balogna or canned meats.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Judy Mayberry
    Richard:

The ingredients say 1 teaspoon kosher salt, but the directions say 1 Tablespoon. It really should be a teaspoon, right?
    Judy in San Diego
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Great post Judy. Now I get to save all the great recipes and techniques. ;)
  • Richard Fl
    Not sure try a tsp and if that is not to your liking add more to taste.