Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami Information

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning Eggers,[p]This two part note will have some information on how I do this wonderful treat. I have pastramied meat for many years and this is just some ideas that have worked for me over the years. While I won't give out my exact recipe as I use it in competition, I sure hope this will give you some ideas of how to improve your meat. My recipe has won a taste test against the two most well known deli's in NYC and I am proud of this. [p]Pastrami is a verb!!! In the US, when folks talk about pastrami, they usually mean brisket although it is a method and has nothing to do with the meat. Worldwide, there is probably more poultry or game pastramied over beef. This method of preserving meat has been around for several hundred years. There are many methods of doing this and I really love this treat and have done it with many different meats but I usually like it better with some type of beef. While I don't prefer brisket, I will give you information on this meat as this is what I think most folks use for this treat. [p]Great pastramied beef in my opinion must start with the corning process as it should be prepared much different than corned beef. Think GARLIC!!!!! Garlic used in your corning process makes this meat so much better as after you smoke it, you want this taste left in your meat. Again, think Garlic!!! If you don't like garlic, eat a burger. I do my pastramied meat is several steps and will include some pictures. [p]06MVC-013E.jpg[p]The above picture shows some of the spices I use for the corning process if I plan to smoke it for beef pastrami. Again, think GARLIC. [p]6MVC-014E.jpg[p]This picture shows my brine along with the heavy first rub I use for this treat. The brine is injected and the rub is put on real heavy as I feel pastramied meat needs a corned product that is prepared for the pastramid meat. Again, think Garlic![p]6MVC-015E.jpg[p]This picture shows the injection process with the meat. It is always best in my opinion to use smaller pieces of meat for this process. I usually never pastrami any chunk of meat over about 3 pounds. Again, think garlic!![p]6MVC-016E.jpg[p]This picture shows my lady packing on the first rub after the meat has been injected. We always put tons of fresh garlic on the meat before the rub, and this first rub is also put on very heavy. I am not sure I mentioned this but think garlic. [p]6MVC-017E.jpg[p]This picture shows the meat ready to go into the fridge for the corning process. I like to use a food saver for this as I am not only corning but marinading at the same time for smoking for my pastramied meat. Works well for my recipe. [p]Part two coming,[p]Dave [p][p]

Comments

• Mac  in NC
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]Since I've lived in the South all of my life, I'm not the least bit familiar with pastrami or how to make it. However, I always did enjoy visiting the deli's in NYC when I would go visit my relatives as a child. A fresh meat market/deli is something I've never seen in the Carolinas.[p]I'm taking notes on your recent posts. I look forward to hearing more of your expertise in preparing this type of meat. This may be a silly question but do you eat it hot or cold?[p]Thanks in advance, [p]Mac
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Old Dave,
    really informative post dave .. thanks!!! . .. .being a decendant of various deli men in nyc, i'd be interested to know which deli's you're refering to in nyc. .. .its really hard to find good corned beef or pastrami anywhere outside of nyc.. . .we have one place here in northern va that's really good, and worth the trip to buy the stuff. ..one of these days i'll have to follow one of the recipes here and see if i can in any way replicate it. . .[p]thanks again. . ..i'm looking forward to seeing post no. 2

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Old Dave,
    the butcher near me makes a semi grey corned beef that makes an ok pastrami, but im guessing it needs more garlic. need to make my own, which cut do you prefer over the brisket

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]Thanks for posting this. Think garlic? I had that covered, I think. I used a whole head of garlic in my brine. Then I used powdered garlic in the rub. LOL
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    So where's the pastrami deli in Northern Va? And please don't tell me it's Arby's.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    WannaBBQ,
    its a place called "chutzpa" (i know, really corny name)... its in a small shopping center right on west ox road, right off of rt 50 (sort of behind fair oaks mall). .. i don't know the name of the shopping center, but there is a tower records, a zaney brany, and a safeway there. .. the corned beef is the best i've tasted this side of 7th avenue, they make good brisket (jewish style, not smoked), pastrami, and great tongue (i love tongue!). . . you can get a decent pickle and a good black and white cookie as well. . ..

• Pakak,[p]My friend, I think you got it right in my way of thinking. There is no way a person can use tooooo much garlic in pastramied meat. [p]Dave

• fishlessman,[p]In my opinion, it is tough to take a corned beef brisket and try to make pastramied beef out of it. I think it is better to start the process with the meat of your choice. [p]As for me, I like chuck roasts for my pastramied beef as this cut of beef is better with this process in my opinion. [p]Dave[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Old Dave,
    ill give that a go, the butcher near me will give me a deal if i buy the whole chuck roll and th thinner edges would be perfect for this.have you tried vacuum sealing freezing and reheating

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mad max beyond eggdome,[p]There are only two people on the forum that have my competition recipe for pastramied beef. These two fellows don't post on the forum very often. These two people are Dave Brewer (db) and Brian Ferguson who lives in NY city. It would be nice if one of them would step up and give some information on my recipe. I am not sure that these two fellows read this forum very often but maybe they will come forward and tell you folks about my pastramied beef. [p]Dave

• Mac in NC ,[p]This is a great question as I love this meat both hot and cold. I guess I prefer it hot the best but it is still good cold. I like it cold with mustard. [p]Dave[p]

• db
    db Posts: 103
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Having flunked English in school, I don't know if it's a verb or a noun. All I know is your "erosen fuszeres fustolt hus" (pastrami) is the best I've ever had.