Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

4 butts and a packer

smoky bsmoky b Posts: 648
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I offered to cook for our church men's retreat this weekend. Should be around 40 dudes so I need to bring it. I picked up 4 butts at costco forgetting that the bones are removed. They look good in the package but when you take them out of the package it looks like someone shoved it in a blender. Oh well, no twine at the house so I used skewers. The packer weighed in at 14 before a little trim. Here are some pics. Will post finished pics soon.

packer getting a little off the top
009-2.jpg

me grossing out my wife
008-2.jpg

here's the large loaded up with 2 butts on top and brisket on the bottom
011-2.jpg

and the medium with 2 more butts
010-2.jpg

here are a few pics 12 hrs in
012-2.jpg
014-5.jpg
013-2.jpg
·

Comments

• LDDLDD Posts: 1,225
    yeah man! brisket looks awesome.
    context is important :)
    ·
  • Awesome set of cooks!! Have a good time!
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,768
    Looking good! B)

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    I agree with LDD - the Brisket looks sweet! What temp did you cook at?
    ·
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,716
    Y'all are going to eat very well!
    ·
  • smoky bsmoky b Posts: 648
    thanks LDD! I don't cook them often so am a little anxious. Bout to separate the point and flat and try my hand at some burnt ends.
    ·
    Thanks Jerry!
    ·
    250 more or less. It was hard to get a read with all of the meat in there. I had the fire stablized for 1.5 hrs at 250 before I put everything on. didn't want to fall asleep with a young fire.

the dome thermo was no good b/c no matter how I positioned everything it was either piercing one of the butts or too close to get a good read. i had a time even getting the maverick pit probe down in there.
    ·
  • BigABigA Posts: 1,157
    looks like all the "dudes" are going to be eating some good bbq!! Nice job!! :)
    ·
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    graham,

High Five, Dude! way to get after it.

Good times and Great smells B)
    ·
  • beesbees Posts: 335
    Nice cook! Did you get the brisket from the back or was it in the case? Our costco seems to only have the 4-5 pound sizes. Thanks, Randy
    ·
    Yeah the guy at costco gave me a confused look when I asked for a whole brisket. I bought the packer from Star Market (local place).
    ·
    thanks adam! the smell is filling the whole house now that the brisket is inside and wrapped. bout to put the sausage on.
    ·
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,365
    Looking good Grahahm!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    ·
  • DexterdogDexterdog Posts: 15
    Looks great! What type of smoke did you use? I am trying a brisket butt combo (my first brisket; a dry run) tomorrow evening and was debating what type of smoke to use with both. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    ·
    thanks molly!
    ·
    this was a pure hickory smoke. I occasionally use cherry but mostly on chicken. oh yeah and sometimes put a little mesquite on steaks (when not cooking for my wife).
    ·