Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally building my table

Wooly Swampman
Wooly Swampman Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am building my table this weekend and looking for insight from some of you "seasoned" eggers. I am going to be using the whiz plans with a few modifications. Flip up side table and 4x4's for the legs. I am also going to be using cypress rather than oak.

Do any of you have any other suggestions for things you wish you would have done with your table? i.e solid surface top, drawers, storage, or finish suggestions. I am open to any suggestions that you may have.

Thanks,

Comments

• Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    I also used cypress for the top & shelf. If you can get it a great wood for the legs and cross members is locus. It is strong and will not decay in the elements. It also matches up nicely with cypress. It is a very dense wood. I have managed to post one photo with photobucket and that was a picture of my table. Search the site for Turk1947 if you want to see it. Good luck.
  • The cypress might be a bit soft for the intended use. Beautiful, but perhaps not as durable as oak.
  • But......at least you started yours......I'm still "thinking" mine!! Good luck with it!!.
  • rapatam
    rapatam Posts: 2
    Not sure on the availability in your area but there is a Brazilian ironwood called 'Ipe'(eepay). It is nearly indestructible. I built afew decks here in Minnesota and the stuff is really tough and strong. My wife and I just decided to get an egg but are trying to decide on a large or XL. I will either build my table with Ipe or go cheaper and get the stainless steel top.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Very good point Sophie, also with Cypress after a while even when you use screws they tend not to hold after a couple of years.
  • The BGE table is cypress you will be fine. Just make sure you seal it.
  • Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    If you visit www.nakedwiz.com there is a photo gallery of different egg tables/carts which may give you some ideas of options to plan/build into your table. Jer
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Hey Swampman,
    Welcome to the forum!
    A few suggestions;
    If gluing, use a water proof glue. Titebond III is my choice.
    Cypress is a "soft" hardwood. A penetrating oil will help protect wood from the elements and will not chip or peel after the wood has been dented or scratched. I like Watco Teak Oil for my tables. Two or three coats, wipe on then rag off the excess keeps things simple. If there is a burn or dent in the wood it's easy enough to sand away the mark and simply wipe more oil into the affected area.
    Stainless fasteners are superior to galvanized or coated. Cost a little more but well worth it. Build your table to last 100 years at it will. ;)
    Good luck, have fun!

CopyofClaysBBQIslands20090041.jpg
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    Unique! Very nice table.
  • reccitron
    reccitron Posts: 176
    Jer_inva wrote:
    If you visit www.nakedwiz.com there is a photo gallery of different egg tables/carts which may give you some ideas of options to plan/build into your table. Jer

I think you mean

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm. You forgot the "H" in whiz like I usually do. The other looks like it takes you to an adult site.
  • Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    Thanks for the correction. :)
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Thanks for your kind words. Quarter sawn white oak in the Arts & Crafts style for this mini table. Joinery includes through tenons with wood keys that lock the table together. Lot's of fun to cook on as well as beautiful.

Working on a small egg table right now for the Sunshine State Eggfest Grand Prize! Nothing out there like my tables, I call them functional works of art. :)
  • reader40
    reader40 Posts: 69
    i just built one as well for my medium and used 4x4 posts, 1x4's and i bought some 3' x 5' sheets of birch or something from menards for more of a solid surface instead of having holes between the boards. it was mutiple peices of wood glued together but not particle board if you know what i mean. i just cut holes in the bottom peice to slide the posts through and used "L" brackets underneath. i didn't want to have any screw heads visible on the top and lower shelf.

i was originally going to build a concrete counter top for it but figured it would take too long and now might give me something to do this summer.

Good luck...the nake whiz site is awesome and there are many variations out there. just depends on what you want to spend. i did see some nice ones on ebay where a guy used cottonwood straight from the mill (rough cut?) so the bark was showing and sealed it with some sort of lacquer like a bar top.
  • I am around Athens,GA and apparently there is nothing in stock around here. I think I am going to have to travel to get the lumber by this weekend or just special order some and have it here by next weekend.
  • How long have you had the table and have you had any problems with it?
  • I've built a lot of furniture out of cypress. The farmed cypress you see most frequently today is almost like balsa wood........unlike the old sinker cyprss that is really hard to come by and much more expensive.
  • Ipe will be heavy. (I'm just sayin'....) but as you say it will last!

also for those of you who are thinking about bbrzillian hardwoods, make sure you get carbide tipped blades and drill bits.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    you're too modest, Clay! Trust me those creations of Clay's are beautiful pieces of fine furniture!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.