Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How useful is the mini?

Options
fiercetimbo17
fiercetimbo17 Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been wanting a smaller egg for a while, I only cook for 2 98% of the time and firing up the large for burgers or steaks I feel is excessive. The website says one steak but my search shows many people saying they can cook for 2 on it. So my question is a mini useful enough to cook for 2 or am I going to be left wanting a small?

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    I love the mini, and use it far, far more than I ever thought I would. I take it camping, and really use it more and more at home doing small cooks for one or two. it is really quite versatile. I don't think you would be sorry. That said, I love my small, as well. Guess I didn't help much, huh? ;)

Mike
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I put this video together a few weeks ago just to answer that type of question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGge_k7FUI

Spring "Mini Me Make Movie" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    fiercetimbo17 wrote:
    I've been wanting a smaller egg for a while, I only cook for 2 98% of the time and firing up the large for burgers or steaks I feel is excessive. The website says one steak but my search shows many people saying they can cook for 2 on it. So my question is a mini useful enough to cook for 2 or am I going to be left wanting a small?

I feel the same way except, I went from an XL to a Lg. I pretty much just use the XL for smoking multiple large briskets.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    We are a 3 member family. This are my usage statistics:
    MINI. 60%
    L. 30%
    XL. 10%
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have large / small/ and mini. Use the mini most now. Just two of us for the most part.
    photo-9-1.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    here in Fl we have a lg, md and mini.. the mini works 5-6 days a week. the others are fired up if we have company LOL
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    i'm going to have to stop neglecting my mini..... i use my large and small 95% of the time, split pretty evenly.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have a Mini and Small. I think the Mini is fun to cook with but I would rather cook on my Small.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

So many folks say get the small over the mini at times I really get torn on which one to reccomend over the other.

There is my wife and I most of the time. We have the L,M,S & mini. I have had my mini going on 3 years now and since getting it I have only used the small 6 to 10 cooks since.

We usually have ourselves and one to 3 grand kids and I will go to the mini - of course depending on what we cook.

I love the mini and like Mickey use it most of the time.
    I always smile when loading it with lump as it just takes a cup or two and gets to temperature really quick. Odd I haven't done any steaks on it...

I do use the mini woo all the time which is available from tjv at the Ceramic Grill Store.

Here is some other cooks.
    tunamelt_1.jpg

tunamelt_2.jpg

tunamelt_3.jpg

bratsonmini.jpg

brats.jpg

bratstuffpepper.jpg

corn1_400.jpg

bbloin3.jpg

pepperncheese3.jpg

pepperncheese4.jpg

Remember the small will do all this too.

GG
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I had the mini first, then got the small. I use the small more, an now the mini is mostly used for travel/tailgates/boating.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    I have a Mini & a Large. Use my Mini all the time. Perfect for two. You can fit a dozen drumettes, four bone-in thighs, a few hot dogs, or two average-size steaks. I posted about my Mini over on the Weight Loss forum a while ago--the 9" cooking surface provides a bit of portion control. I also use it for individual pizzas and baking small desserts, too.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I love my Mini,
    Corn
    IMG_3388.jpg
    Two big Pork Chops.
    IMG_0409.jpg
    I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of two Ribeyes on the Mini but I do them all the time.
    I have done three on the Mini as well.
    We call her Piglet and she travels with us too.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't know where you live, but around here, the mini is perfect for cold weather cooking. It lives here all winter (a small wouldn't fit)...

4288784976_7f6ec45ac4_b.jpg

And if you forget to close the dome before a blizzard, it doesn't matter! :laugh: :blush:

5349677293_e3b9673d46_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I thought long and hard before getting a Mini. went back and forth between the Mini and the Small and finally decided on the Mini.
    I love my mini and use it all the time (2 adults + 2 girls). better for afterwork cooks than firing up the large.
    A small will give you more wiggle room. If cost isn't a factor, get a small.

If portability is important, go for the Mini. You'll be less likely to throw your back out moving it.

If you do get the mini, get the mini woo ring or buy an extra grid and make a raised grid setup. the key to it's versatility is the ablity to cook higher and/or indirect - which both of those options will enable you to do.
  • fiercetimbo17
    Options
    I think I might get it, it's on craigslist for pretty cheap
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    If you can get a deal then buy it.
    You can always flip it if you change your mind.
    Eggs on Craig's List don't last long at a good price.
    I bought mine on sale for $150.00 new 2 years ago.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Even though I said I use the small more, I sure cooked a ton of stuff on the mini, before I got the small.

More will fit on there than you think.

These 3 lobster tails weighed 2 lbs., 10 oz. each.

P8273280.jpg

2 racks of lamb:

throwdownIV-outbackbowl2009003-1.jpg

It is a perfect grilling machine and burns for about 4 hours at 400 degree dome on a full load of lump.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• WarEagleDG
    Options
    I myself and struggling with the exact same question. I think I've about decided on the Mini, but i'm going to wait until I go to the Gulfport Eggfest in April to see a few in action and compare.
    I hope to be coming home with one that weekend too!
    War Eagle and pass the Sauce!
  • fiercetimbo17
    Options
    I think I might get it, it's on craigslist for pretty cheap
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    If it's on Craigs List, jump on it! Good luck!

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I have a large, small and mini. I do use the mini more that I thought I would but also consider it the 3'rd egg with lrg./ small being the combo that suits me best.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Those pictures are just not fair. The price of lobster out here I would have to hire private security. Nice, keep em warm I am on my way.

Kent
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    Great video! Who is the cook?....You?
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    No, I'm not that creative. I go for simplicity. The Mini does that and more.

The photos are an accumulation of Mini cooks posted on the Forum by some obviously creative Eggheads. I just thought it was time for people to see what a Mini can do in the right hands.

I'm actually accumulating photos for Mini Movie II. Don't wait up for it because it takes a while.

Spring "Any Mini Will Perform Magic" Chicken
  • thegrillster
    Options
    It is worth it if only for the smile that it puts on my face.

Seriously! It is very functional and I use it all the time.

Buy and enjoy!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I love the second picture :>)