Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elk and veggies

Options
cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got these from some friends, package said elk steaks. Not sure who their butcher is.

3911Elksteakdinner003.jpg

Cooked the two smaller ones.

3911Elksteakdinner009.jpg

I seriously should have cleaned these up. Hadn't eaten today so I threw them on.
Veggies.

3911Elksteakdinner005.jpg

3911Elksteakdinner011.jpg

3911Elksteakdinner013.jpg

3911Elksteakdinner015.jpg

The parts that were tender were melt in your mouth delicious. Not so much the chewy stuff.
I got to talk to my friends about this butcher they have.
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Options
    Beautiful Molly! I've got 2 more venison backstraps I'm saving in the freezer- I think you just inspired me to get 'em out. B)
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Are your friends scott and adam? Was apple pie involved in the butchering process? :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    Options
    With all the elk talk earlier, I pulled these.
    Pictures of yours required! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Yes, but not from them. No, unfortunatley. :laugh: :P
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    you have to trim out the silver skin....rrr
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Molly...Looks great, but I must agree...they need a new butcher! :laugh: Great looking meal, and the Elk looks cooked to perfection!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    What rr said.You gotta cut that membrane out. ;) Those would make GREAT Elk Roll-ups.Beat em flat,layer some goodies on em,roll em up,wrap in bacon.I gotta stop!!! :evil:
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Looking good....what are you going to do with the largest one? I'm sure you'll come up with something delicious.... :)
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    Molly, from personal experiences with getting game processed in your great state, we are just happy to find anyone to do it. I know some of the cuts we get are unusual and not found on the cut charts but if you work with it when you get home it is great.
    Had elk Chili for the poker game tonight in fact. Everyone loved it.
    See you in Salado. First one is still on me.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Molly that looks like you cooked it perfectly,sometimes the cut is very important.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    That looks good Molly....Even if the "cut" was really odd, you did well.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Molly that Elk looks perfect!! If you will trim out the white membrane it will be much tinderer. Only problem is smaller pieces.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    That is some dark red meat and those green things again :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Molly,

What did he send you with? :sick:
  • GW
    GW Posts: 98
    Options
    Miss Molly,

Elk looks awesome. To be honest, the stuff I get cut up looks similar. You just have to trim it up a bit. I must not have sent you with backstrap? You got a load of burger though.... ;)