Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grill dome?

SmkyJ
SmkyJ Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is a grill dome? Seems to be a rip off of the BGE. Also what is the deal with the primo? I have a BGE medium and love it. Im just curious if anyone has used one of these seemingly inferior products. Are they knockoffs or what?

Comments

• c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Lots of ceramic cookers out there...Primo, Kamado Joe, Grill Dome, etc. Some well made, but remember- imitation is the best form of flattery! I'll stick with my lifetime guaranteed BGE! (Chest poking out, fists in the air) :woohoo:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    No need to insult the imitators, I mean other ceramic grill brands. I believe it may be even against forum rules. ;)
    Clearly most of us believe BGE to be the best.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Yes there are other good ceramic cookers besides BGE.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Grill Dome is a good ceramic cooker, would be my choice if not for the egg.
  • SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    I have a Grill Dome. I wouldn't call it inferior. It's a great grill. I also still use my weber kettle. I think thats an awesome grill. Can't have enough grills, right? I was thinkig of adding electric masterbuilt to the mix but I will hold off on that one for now. I saw a cypress bayou grill at Lowes, now that one didn't seem very good.
  • EgginTiger
    EgginTiger Posts: 101
    How do you know Primo is inferior? What experience or expertise do you have to make that statement about another product? My uncle has a Primo and swears by it, you'd be hard pressed to convince him that it was inferior to anything
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    ive seen the one at lowes, didnt think it was all that bad other than whoever put it together didnt know how to use a wrench.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • interesting item- a few years back someone posted a grill dealer's video in which they discussed and compared all of "their" products. Grill Dome, Komado, BGE and I forget what else.
    needless to say their"unbiased" recommendations were for everything but the BGE and the comparisons they did were all comparing the imitations to the BGE.

All of the cookers were new except for the BGE which was the only one that had been used.

it was like watching Fox News give an evaluation of a Democratic candidate.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Primo makes a quality product. If I had a dealer closer I might be using them as well.
    Still would not mind having one of the oval models.
    I watch Ebay and Craig's list for them as well.

Now I have to admit, I have seen some other brands that looked to be built very bad.

Cheers,
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokinJ
    I guess maybe it could have been the same issue. When I lifted the lid it was so heavy and not stable. I was afraid the thing was going to fall off the base. I just didn't want to mess with it after that, didn't want to break on me. Maybe it was just built wrong. I was gonna order one a few yrs ago unseen but after seeing that one I'm glad I didn't. I called the company and the warranty was only like a year.
  • SmokinJ
    I did see that video. I think those guys were pissed since they lost being an egg dealer since you can't sell other ceramic grills and be an egg dealer. Grill Dome has been around since 1985.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    What was even better was the fact that for a while, at least, they left their old videos on their site where they were telling how great the Egg was. Then bingo, they are pimping video telling you how bad the Egg was. But for a while, you could see BOTH videos, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • SmokinJ
    Thats pretty bad leaving both vids up.
  • QPete
    QPete Posts: 32
    There are more inferior cooks than inferior ceramic grills.
    You can blame the grill but at the end is you.
    I own BGE & Primo units, both great products, top notch.

QPete
  • Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117
    Go lift the lid of a Primo or Kamado Joe, and it is rough, red in collor because of the cheaper quality ceramics. Generaly they use a bit more brick clay or fire clay. One of the local primo dealers tells customers that you can build two seperate fires in the oval and slow cook on one side and grill at a higher temp on the other side. He obviously has never tried this, it wont work.
  • QPete
    QPete Posts: 32
    You have no clue as to what you are talking about