Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Selling hand guns

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I have a couple of hand guns that I am thinking of selling. Where is a good place online to find out their value? I understand it depends on age, condition, serial number, type, phase of the moon, etc., but where would be a good place to start looking into the value of these guns?

Thanks!
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Look for the same models on gunbroker.com

Or tell me what you have (online or offline, up to you) and I can give you a pretty fair estimate. I visit more than a handful of gun shows each year and own roughly 20 different pieces.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Thanks! I have them in a storage unit, so I still have to get them out and get the serial numbers, but they are Colt Police Positive Special pistols. I don't know the barrel length, either, but I'll get all that. They were purchased, my guess, in the late 1920's but the serial number will reveal their age.

When my grandfather and great grandfather lived a few blocks away from each other in south St. Louis back in the 20's, one of their houses was broken into, so they each bought one of these pistols. My guess is they were fired a few times when they purchased them, and have been stored for the 90 years or so.

I'll let you know what I have when I get to the storage unit. Thanks again!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Fidel
    Options
    Depending on the condition grading, this is a pretty good guideline:

100% - $800
    98% - $650
    95% - $450
    90% - $325
    80% - $300
    70% - $275
    60% - $250
    50% - $225
    40% - $200
    30% - $185
    20% - $170
    10% - $155

Caliber and barrel length really don't seem to matter in the few pricing guides I checked.

Or maybe I should just say, "they're worth $50 each". I'll give you a nice, crisp $100 bill.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I think I saw that "chart" on the web, but I didn't notice any definition/explanation for each percentage. I did see a list of "conditions" that included something like "mint unused" "excellent", etc. But I'll hit the storage unit tonight if I can.
    The Naked Whiz
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    Better make sure you do it legally, as if not, anything that happens after the sale makes you responsible. Handguns usually require a Federal Firearms License.
    Good luck but do your homework.
    Probably type in the make, model, serial number on Google and see what comes up. It won't cost anything and you'll get a good idea of their value.
  • Fidel
    Options
    A private handgun sale does not require an FFL. You only need to involve an FFL if you are going to ship the weapons across state lines. In that instance the FFL at each end of the shipment records the weapon leaving/entering the state. Most FFL will do this for a nominal charge of $5-10 on top of the packaging and shipping costs.

Likewise the seller is not required to file any paperwork, it is the duty of the purchaser to register the weapon in the appropriate jurisdiction. I would keep records of the person to whom they are sold, and probably even get a signed bill of sale with serial number, etc., but you have no responsibilities or licensing requirements.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I found that in NC, the purchaser must obtain a permit to buy the gun from his county, but otherwise, the seller doesn't have to do anything. I saw a recommendation that you do a bill of sale, verify the buyer's identity and make a copy of their permit. So, nothing too difficult.
    The Naked Whiz