Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bending Paella Pan Handles

Jasper
Jasper Posts: 378
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all, I'm just looking for a bit of advice here on bending some handles. I bought a 15" paella pan (red handles) and, of course, it doesn't fit. But I knew that buying it and knew that I would be bending the handles. I don't mind doing "modifications". :laugh:

My question is, what would be the best way to bend the handles? From what I've read on here there are two ways, heating and bending in a vice or cutting out the rivets, bending and then reattaching.

Has anyone done the heating method (I have a MAPP) that can show some pics? I'm assuming the paint on the handles gets totally burnt away. Has anyone done it the other way mentioned? Would you have to heat the handles anyway?

I guess I just want the least destructive way on the handles. And photos if anyone has some.

Thanks! :)

BTW...Little Steven, I saw your pan at St.LM, they had the non-stick and carbon steel ($45 & $40).

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    if you have a vise and hamer you could bend it slowly without the heat pulling lightly and tapping each side til its bent right, or give it some heat. dont worry about the red paint, its gone after a few uses any ways, gets a black coating all over it that does not go away, patina. :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Did one a few years back and as mentioned, placed the handle in a vice and heated with a MAPP and it worked fine.
  • Jasper
    Thanks, I was wondering how long the red handles lasted after use in the egg. I tried putting in the vise yesterday but found it awkward and it seemed too much force would pop the handles out of the rivets.
  • Jasper
    Thanks. I'll try the MAPP method first. How do the pan handles look now? I guess I should burn the paint off first outside since my vise in my basement workshop.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,457
    It was a pleasant surprise meeting you at the store. Since you're bending it in the basement with MAPP, remember to turn off the furnace including the pilot and all electrical appliances B)
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Jasper
    Yes, it was. I'll be careful! B)
  • Jasper

I was too lazy to try to modify a paella pan I bought that sounds very similar to yours. Instead, my wife bought me the Typhoon pans that Little Steven recommended -- both the carbon and non-stick kind. The carbon one is my go to pan and I am happy using it as it gives me more room than the original 15 inch pan I bought.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Jasper,

That sounds like what I paid. Was it in the place diagonally across from the back bacon?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jasper
    Yeah, it's the big kitchen gadget store on the main floor center, beside the stairs.