Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Tenderloin/Backstrap Help

Options
SRGAU93
SRGAU93 Posts: 71
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've searched & read numerous recipe/suggestion posts, but I still don't have a consensus for how I'm going to cook my first backstrap (doe) this evening. Here's what I've done so far. Soaked in milk for 24 hours drained & soaked in a soy/red wine/herb marinade for 12 hours. Was planning on seasoning with "Raising the Steaks" before cooking. I wanted to cook it whole (doesn't seem big enough to slice & cook individually) and was planning on the same method I use for thick filets (sear @ high temp direct, close & roast, pull @ 120 for medium), but I'm uncertain about what temperature to pull the loin at (I've seen anywhere from 120-145!), since it is whole and therefore NOT UNIFORM THICKNESS and much leaner. The filet recipe has taken me numerous times to perfect (overcooked several times but still tasted damned good!), but I only have this one backstrap & 1 more in the freezer, so I didn't want to screw it up. Thanks!

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    First off a Tenderloin is going to be 12-14 inches long and maybe a little wider than a golf ball. The Backstrap, if removed properly, will be 2-3 feet long and almost 3 times as thick. I cook both of them about the same, hot n fast. The loin gets cooked whole and the backstraps get cut into steaks.

For your first go, I'd skip all the pre-liquid soaks/marinades and just hit it with salt before the sear and then apply a rub if you'd like. Rubs will/can burn to a char during the sear. You can season with the rub right after the sear or even prior to the 10 minute rest (under loose foil)

Most importantly, be sure and have some sort of thermometer to know what temp that meat is at. That stuff is like gold.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I soak 1 1/2 inch medallions in Ialian Salad Dressing for an hour or so and wrap in bacon. Cook direct high in dome 350-400F. Pull around 125F. You might want to pre-cook the bacon in microwave for a couple of minutes depending on thickness.
  • SRGAU93
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I'm a novice hunter & got a doe last season. I had it processed as all ground & "backstraps", as recommended by friends. The labeled backstraps came in two packages. What I have is a 18" mostly flat, continuous piece of meat (a very small piece was in the package but unattached, maybe the end) that is maybe 1.25 - 1.5" at the thickest point. Already marinaded and at the grilling step.
  • RandallB
    RandallB Posts: 67
    Options
    I would cut the 18'' piece into 3 pieces about 6'' long each. It will be better to work with.

I used to just cook the backloin cut into pieces wrapped in bacon, but recently have enjoyed doing the larger, full pieces. I would wrap each in several pieces of bacon, lengthwise or around. Skip the milk thing...I don't think that does anything to backloin.

I don't have an exact internal temp to quote, I just eyeball it. (I will have to check it next time)

To me, you don't want the venison to be as rare in the middle like a seared beef filet. But, you want it red.

You really can't go wrong as long as you don't cook it for ever and dry it out.

As Ted Nugent says..."Venison - the ultimate FREE RANGE, ORGANIC, PERFECT HEALTHY PROTEIN"!!!
  • RandallB
    RandallB Posts: 67
    Options
    Oh... you quote "(a very small piece was in the package but unattached, maybe the end)"

That is your INSIDE loin! Two short strips of meat UNDERNEATH the backbone, not on the back.

That is the 'best of the best' of the whole deer. Grill that with a little bacon wrap and it is totally as tender as a good beef filet.
  • SRGAU93
    Options
    Thanks RandallB, but how do you cook the pieces? Direct/raised direct, sear @ high temp & close vents/roast (like filets) or other? If other, what grid temperature?
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    After reading the thread, I'll chime in too...
    As Adam has pointed out, this doesn't have to be rocket science. We did some at the Ice Fest seasoned with good old salt and done hot and fast!
    But, as long as you have done some seasoned marinade....I'll go from there. IMHO, I think I would cook the whole loin wrapped in a few strips of bacon. This will help keep the meat very moist.
    Also be sure to pull at a Med. Rare. You really want a nice pinkish, red color.
    Cook direct at about 400 F. turning every so often to get an even cook all around.
    I think the "small piece" that you found in one package may just be a tip that got separated, however (but why only one?) it could be the tenderloin too. No matter, cook it hot and fast too and snack on it while the loin is finishing.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Randall,

I gotta tell you that I used to eyeball it too, and kicked out some half decent food. Then along came the egg and the concept of two new things to me, both temperature related, the temp I'm cooking at and the temp I'm cooking to. The go-to therm around here is the Thermapen, it's priceless. and here's a good meat doneness chart.
    http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/doneness_chart.htm

When it's all working in perfect harmony, you won't believe the kinda food you can make in your backyard. B)

Welcome! and enjoy this place, you'll learn a ton as most of us have.
  • SRGAU93
    Options
    Thanks for the temperature link. Guess venison & beef temperatures are the same. I have a Thermapen and use it on almost every cook!
  • Ripnem
    Options
    If it were me, I'd sear them 550 or so, close to the coals, quickly, less than a minute a side and then pull them. then cool down the egg to 350 or so and on a raised grid put the meat back on, with the rub, until it reached 125ish. tent under foil for 5-10 minutes. enjoy
  • Ripnem
    Options
    they are the same, but the deer cook much faster than the cow.
  • SRGAU93
    Options
    Thanks! If pulling @ med rare, according to linked chart above, 130? Keep whole & wrap in bacon... seems like that would harder to flip, rather than cutting into 3 sections as mentioned above. Thanks, again!
  • SRGAU93
    Options
    Thanks! Wrap in bacon, or no? Tent after pulling @ 125?
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    your meat guy ripped you off!..... he kept the best piece of meat for himself!..... i see this all the time and it makes me furious!.... the tenderloins are not the same as backstraps..... as one other guys said... the tenderloins are located in the inside of the carcass along the spine...( do some research and then find and honest butcher!) he knows you know nothing about the subject if you asked him to grind the whole thing..... i've seen this happen to soooo many folks....any way..... i cut my backstraps into 3/4 to one inch medallions.... put some butter and a dash of olive oil.... salt and pep....of course.... the meat is so succulent it does not need any marinade or other magic!.... have the pan hot.... they will cook in less than 30 seconds per side.... remove the meat.... deglasze the pan with some red wine....add some heavy cream( stir constantly to remove the fond from the pan)..... reduce for a minute or two... then pour the sauce over the venison medallions.... a meal fit for our everyday air force one flyin' SOB..... lol.... i love my egg but venison is so lean it dries out too quickly on an open fire...and you end up with boot leather ...rr

the meat's taste has a lot to do with where the the critter was feeding.... around here ..... we call em mountain deer or valley deer( valley meaning corn fed).... mountain deer are a waste..... cause the eat bitter tasting foliage.... thereby transferring the taste to the ( kind of like eating smoker vs. a non smoker...lol)....
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    The bacon isn't necessary, just one way I've done a marinated loin, doing so, all at one temp. in about the 400F range.
    I have also just done the sear and roast and....
    I've done the strap (actually it's the eye of the chop) sliced into medallions doing a Chateaubriand preparation.
    As for...Pull, tent and rest?? YES!
  • Ripnem
    Options
    125º will net you a nice medium rare after the tent. Bacon is up to you. Try some without for sure, so you know.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Yes...!30 to 135 F serving temp. is the target here at my house
    I'm not really sure it makes a difference, but my thought is that it will be more moist being roasted whole or in larger pieces.
    OTOH, if there is a big difference in thickness (being the long full cut), cutting to size makes good sense.
    With regard to the turning...Flip with two sets of tongs...It works well.
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    The thing about bacon is that it'll give you a slight smoky taste and add fat, as all game is very lean, no marbling in it. Remember when you use a chart, after you take it off, it'll continue to cook to 10 degrees more.