Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggzilla

Options
Chef Boyaree
Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So is the Eggzilla for real? Given other big smokers, it would make sense. Could weigh 400 lbs, but I would love to have one in my backyard!

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
  • Chef Boyaree
    Options
    I know the one at the event was a prop, but I was wondering if it was an idea in the works. If not, it should be!
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    This is clearly a styrofoam (or similar material) prop; cool as it appears it is not made of anything close to BGE ceramic; unless the pictures are very bad and the finish is the same, blow up the picture and take a look. It would weigh 600-700 lbs. and the table is on 2" casters...
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    You would think that Big Green Egg would come out with a commercial grade Egg. Something that restaurants would be inclined to purchase for their smoking needs. I guess that market is simply too saturated with large drum, box and custom smoker building companies.

I have an XL, which serves a lot of people, but would be no where near enough cooking capacity to service a restaurant.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i don't understand how any reasonable person can imagine that photo shows a real egg.

that said, i could see them making a bigger egg (than the XL). but that photo in no way shows an egg that could actually be viable. it would not be possible to cook on that egg

maybe there's a real 'eggzilla' being developed (something bigger than the XL), but that photo is not it. i will say, they certainly got people talking, and that is always good (despite the shill from the kamado-joe side decrying it, and saying he was going to "sell his (BGE)eggs" as a result of the confusion. talk about over reacting :laugh: )
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chef Boyaree
    Options
    Just so I don;t come off like an idiot, I was well aware that the photo was not of a real egg. My question was whether it represented an idea or product that Big Green Egg had developed or was working on.

I have a large and an XL, but would be very hard for me not to break down and buy an eggzilla if it came out. I would imagine using it direct for steaks could be dangerous, but the smoking possibilities would be endless. Multiple large turkeys... whole pigs not doubled up on themselves... multiple giant filets of salmon...
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    no. you weren't coming off like an idiot...
    there were some comments on the facebook page (since removed) that implied some folks were convinced the photo was the real deal

i wouldn't be surprised myself if they developed something bigger (or maybe different... longer?) than the XL

stranger things have happened :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    It doesn’t hurt that you’re sucking all of the idiot air out of the room
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania