Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ET732

Options
snake701uk
snake701uk Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Considering I will be in USA next month and having read on forum about ET732. IS this the way to go?
I would order one before i get there to avoid importing here which is a nightmare.
Basicaly I would like to buy a damn good thermometer for my Large. Thanks.

Comments

• berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    As I have posted before, this unit improves on the deficiencies of its predecessor - great remote range, higher maximum pit temp, power switch on outside of unit, better overall quality - but my pit temp is high by 45 degrees (consistent, but still high). So, it requires a bit of thinking on my part (yikes), but it works great other than that flaw. Maybe I just got a bad one. GL.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I concur, I have had mine for a couple of months and it is definetly an upgrade over the old 73 :)
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Snake,

I have had an ET-73 for 5 years and love it. I received a ET-732 recently, but have not had an opportunity to use it. I'm hoping "berrygood's" unit (off by 45*) is not representative of all of them.

I think your idea of preordering and bringing it back to Italy is "right on".
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I have done a lot of online sales into Italy using the postal service. Somewhere between here and there a huge amount of product never makes it to it's destination. It finally got to a point where I had to refuse shipments over there. So your thoughts of getting it here and taking it back is a great idea.

I have had the ET-73 for many years and have had great luck with it. A few cooks ago the on off switch on the transmitter went bad. So I need to replace the switch and it will be up and going again. However, I too will get the ET-732 at some point in time.

As far as a dual probe remote thermometer I love the 73 and expect to love the 732 as well. I had a ET-7 and it was horrible. Not knowing better I bought it first as it was a dual probe and a little less expensive - bad decision.

My 73 is a little off my DigiQ thermometer but I just make a mental note and add or subtract the difference from the DigiQ when I read the 73. I am thinking the DigiQ is more correct than the 73. Sometime I may test both to see, but +- 10° isn't anything to be concerned about. I always final done with the Thermapen.

Have a great trip over here.

GG
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have never done any sort of testing on it, but my 732 seems to be pretty accurate. If it is off, it is not enough to worry about :)
  • snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Options
    Thanks to all. I will order one. Andy
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    berrygood wrote:
    but my pit temp is high by 45 degrees (consistent, but still high).

I am not sure what you mean when you say your pit temp is high by 45 degrees?

Did you test the Maverick probes in boiling water? Without access to lab-quality testing gear, that's the only way I know of to gauge the accuracy of a thermometer.

Both of my 732 probes were within 2 degrees (reading 214 when water boiling) at sea level.
    New Orleans LA
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Dondgc wrote:
    I am not sure what you mean when you say your pit temp is high by 45 degrees?

Did you test the Maverick probes in boiling water? Without access to lab-quality testing gear, that's the only way I know of to gauge the accuracy of a thermometer.

Both of my 732 probes were within 2 degrees (reading 214 when water boiling) at sea level.
    I have tested with multiple probes in boiling water and against thermapen, BBQ Guru and BGE thermo, which are all properly calibrated.