Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ordered a Large BGE today

Options
WallyInWA
WallyInWA Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I joined the forum a few years ago when I was thinking about buying a BGE. It turns out I had to put off buying one, and I drifted away from the forum since all the cook posts/pictures were driving me slightly nuts...

So the other day, right out of the blue, my wife said something like "maybe we should move that Big Green Onion or whatever it was up on the priority list". After the initial double-take and delay for translation of what she said, I dropped in on the forum and discovered you guys are still here. Acronyms and inside jokes are still going over my head and cook pictures/posts are still driving me slightly nuts.

So today I ordered a Large along with a bunch of accessories. A few of the items were out of stock, so I'm looking forward to picking it up next week. I have to drive about 50 miles to get to the egg store so I want to wait until everything comes in before driving down.

I guess I can wait... it's still winter around here. I was plowing snow off the driveway a week or so ago, so a few days delay won't hurt. Well, too much any way.

Wally

Comments

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Welcome Wally, sounds like you had a long wait, it will be worth it!!
    Looking forward to seeing your cooks!
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Your wife is a wise woman. ;)
  • GreenLeafBBQ
    Options
    Very cool! It is worth the wait. Glad to have you in the Eggdom.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very good for you Wally and glad to have you on the forum. Remember we like pictures....
    So what are you going to start with?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Primeggister1
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Congrats, man. The forum is a great tool - before you know it, you'll be an expert like everyone else on here!
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Look forward to seeing pics of your cooks on the forum.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Welcome Aboard Wally, and a big welcome to your wife also. You wanna hold on to that woman! :laugh: :cheer:
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    That's funny that she called it the Big Green Onion. Don't let her live that one down.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    You'll never look back! The fun is about to begin.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Welcome, Wally.

Where in Washington are you? I guess out in a rural area since you have to drive 50 miles to get to a dealer! Who did you buy from? I bought ours from Sutter Home and Hearth in Woodinville. We're on the south end of Whidbey Island.

Hope to see you at the Seattle eggfest in June!
    http://www.pnweggfest.com/
  • WallyInWA
    Options
    I don't know yet, but something slow and easy; probably chicken or a small pork roast. I remember reading the recommendations about doing a few lower temp cooks before pushing it to the higher temps. I figure I might as well start off slow and get used to it. I haven't done any grilling in several years; the old grill died and I didn't want to buy a cheap replacement.

Wally
  • WallyInWA
    Options
    We're down south near Longview. I guess there is a new dealer in Kalama listed on the BGE storefinder, but their website doesn't mention anything about eggs. Several years ago the closest was Lisac's in Portland and we stopped in there on the way to Costco one day. They seemed nice and helpful, so I figured might as well go back there to buy it. I called them and took care of it over the phone, they didn't have a couple of things in stock but I can go down and pick it all up next week.

We are about halfway between Portland and Olympia, but traffic seems much easier going south.

Wally
  • WallyInWA
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome folks; I'm looking forward to getting started with the egg. It's kind of funny, the other night I realized how helpful this forum has been on non-egg topics. Just in hanging around a few years ago learning about the Egg I ended up getting into home roasting coffee because of posts here; and have come back to the forum several times looking for recommendations on other kitchen accessories. My post count doesn't really reflect how helpful this forum has been.

Wally
  • WallyInWA
    Options
    It was funny, we were talking about baking bread and I said something about building a brick oven outside - that's when she brought up the Onion/Egg. It took me a second to figure out what she was talking about.

When we were talking about it before I had promoted the Egg based on versatility... sort of a grill, smoker and brick oven all in one. I guess she remembered.

Wally
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Welcome! Nice to have another Washintonian on here!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I looked back at least once to be sure the guy who bought my gasser didn't want his money back :P