Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Making Question

hayman
hayman Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First post guys, I am now an egghead..?? B)

I made my first pizza last night on the egg. It was a last minute decision and the girlfriend and I slapped some stuff together and egged. Turned out tasty.

Question, other then the lump wood coal do any of you put wood chunks in to add smoke flavor? Not sure at 500 to 600 degrees there will be any flavor added but I'm new at this and don't have much experience with what wood to use for what food. I've eaten at wood fired pizza places but never asked what wood they use.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Welcome Aboard hayman, your life is about to change! :) :laugh:
    I make a lot of pizzas and have never added smoking wood, so I really can't say.
    What we and many other enjoy is thinking up new toppings for our pies.
    Here is one with seafood.
    5464690259_06dafed0cd.jpg
    P2200011 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
    5464691279_5688ccdc2e.jpg
    P2200015 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
    Shrimp, bay scallops, spinach, onion, sweet peppers, italian cheeses, sun dried tomatos, and feta :) :ohmy: :P :cheer:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I never add wood, but that's a personal matter of taste. As for the wood kiln pizza places around here they only use a hot bed of coals which long before had given up any traces of smoke.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    I don't add any wood to my pizza cooks. I don't know if they cook too fast to take on any flavor from something like that. You might get more mileage from smoking some meat (chicken maybe) and add that to your topping.
  • I've smoked some chicken breasts and used the leftovers on a pizza the next day and it was great. The chicken still had a very noticeable smoke flavor to it. Add some fresh pineapple and a mixture of bell peppers, onion and cheese and you have a great pizza! Welcome to a new way of cooking and most of all - HAVE FUN :laugh:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Hey Indiana, I like that recipe. We often have chicken leftover and wonder what we can different with it! Great idea! Thanks :) :cheer:
  • Woodfired pizza's are not to take on alot of smoke flavour like how smoked meats do. It is the intensity of the baking and also a hint of aroma. Imagine tryng to eat cheese heavily smoked....that is all you would taste. Cheese takes on smoke easily, doesn't need any extra help. Pick the lump charcoal you enjoy and stik with it, I use Maple Leaf lump charcoal.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    don't add any chunks of wood..... you just want the heat not a smoky flavored pizza.... i learned the hard way.... if you want to experiment.... just make one small pie with out alot of expensive topping and give it a try..... trust me i tried it.... and the pie tasted like a railroad tie smells...lol.... i use clean fresh lump and let it burn clean before i put the pie on( referred to as "pitz" here in the coal region... lol) NEPA..... thanks! ray
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Ranger Ray:

Just finished a box of Senape's Pitza from Hazleton last night. Grew up with it and still love it. As a Jersey boy it's a rare treat.
  • I tell you what Capt. Mike, the leftover chicken is great, but try the mixture of bell peppers, too. It comes straight from the Big Green Egg Cookbook (the hardback one that recently came out $50). Turn to pg. 296 - Grilled Island Chicken w/Tropical Salsa. That salsa is great by itself on a lot of things, including pizza. I find myself prepping that salsa on a weekly basis now just to have on hand. I made burgers tonight on the BGE and my wife put that salsa on hers and said it was the best hamburger she's ever had. :cheer:
  • Excuse my error Capt. Frank. I don't know where I got Capt. "Mike" from! :blush:
  • hayman
    Thanks for all the help guys. Wasnt aware of different types of coal. I've only seen the BGE brand and Cowboy something at lowes. I'll have to look around.
  • hayman
    Thanks for all the help guys. Wasnt aware of different types of coal. I've only seen the BGE brand and Cowboy something at lowes. I'll have to look around.
  • hayman
    Why does using the back button add another post?
  • amsincki
    amsincki Posts: 4
    Mediterranean themed pizzas, Mexican pizzas, even Thai pizzas! Thanks for the reminder of what I'm missing this winter.