Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big flash and pressure on the LBGE!

Options
RandallB
RandallB Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking >500 degrees continues to command my RESPECT. WOW.

I was raising my temp to about 550 for my steak. With my trusty elbow length oven mitt, I was burping it and peaking at the flame inside. It let out a big flash and my reaction was to drop the lid quickly the last inch or so of closure. A second later, I literally saw the entire top move on its own releasing the pressure, I guess. I couldn't believe it.

Anyone ever observed this?

If you "burp" it good, does it totally remove the chance of the "flash out" or is the flash just part of it?

Thanks for the advice. Also, I did my second AWESOME brisket yesterday!

Comments

• transversalInactive
    Options
    Never had that happen....but I'm a newbee, friend. f one'a those things is gonna go inter-galactic from a mad pork butt, it's gonna be mine, I can assure you!! So, I am curious about the answer.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Everything you need to know is right here! Great read, great images, and an amazing short movie! And before you get scared after watching the movie, keep in mind that they did everything to MAKE the flashback happen!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

Thanks again Naked Whiz! :)

You will learn to recognize when the conditions are right for a flashback in time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

It's called flashback and most of us have experienced it. So be careful.

Here is a picture of our friend Ross in Ventura take a close look at his singed hair.
    DSC_0002-29.jpg

Ross is doing fine and cooking up a storm. Make sure you check out his blog as there are a ton of great cooks with the how too's.

GG
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    I can just see my obit now..........."He was catapulted from his patio by a raging pork butt."
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    Hey Grampaw........sure fond your repost of the BGE FAQ's for newbees informative. Thanks for the post.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks you are more than welcome. I am working on an update there will be a couple of more references I will be adding to the list.

If you are having a lot of smoke coming out of the egg I have found flashback is more of a chance. When there is a lot of smoke in the egg that is caused by lack of oxygen and lack of flame. When air is introduced there is a high potential of that smoke flashing into flame and hence the flashback. Opening the bottom vent and top vent and waiting for a short while will go a long ways in eliminating flashback. I still 'burp' the egg.

GG
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    Majes all he sense in the world, Grampaw. Heavy smoke is nothing more than unburned fuel......more fuel tahn available oxygen to support combustion. Opening the grill in that state merely makes air an instant excelerant, causing a small "explosion" in the form of a fireball. I have not seen it yet, but the information is tucked away for future reference. I would never had even considered it had I not read this site. I will now...... whenever I see smoke coming out coming out of the top.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago, I was in the process of starting the fire - getting it rolling. I had the bottom vent fully open and the top without the DW. After a short while, there was puff/huff sound as the smoke/temp/air mixture got "just right". Immediately thereafter, the fire started burning completely clean - no smoke what so ever. Was pretty cool as, at the time, I was sitting across the patio from the egg.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    RandallB,

One time, I was at Beli's place. Seared a huge boneless rib roast. Closed the vents down and blew the whole daisy fifteen feet in the air. Fire will look for oxygen. :blush:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Personally, I don't burp since that creates at best a mini-flashback. I open the vents for 10-15 seconds and let the fire have some oxygen. Then I slowly open the lid.

While I have never blown the lid off or the daisy wheel off, I hear that Bonaparte Napoleon was a big fan of flashbacks:

Flashback HD

Disclaimer: No images or likenesses of Adolf Hitler appear in this film.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Go look at the pictures The Naked Whiz has done. That is the best way to experience the event. :)

GG
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Very Funny & Entertaining!
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    I have, Grandpa.....pretty scary!!
  • tehrenberg
    Options
    Just experienced my first flash back. Not much fun seeing a huge fire ball coming at you. I was just cooking hamburgers and the thermometer read only 300 which I thought was real low. So I opened the lid to check it out and here came the fire ball. I think I figure out the hard way that my thermomet isn't working right. Have fun laughing at me.