Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Organic eggs (the chicken kind)

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I have 2 chickens and they reward me with 2 eggs per day. I feed them organic layer feed, hen scratch, oyster shells, and I let them out of their coop twice a day to forage in the grass.

I was cooking cornbread today and noticed that a neighbor had left a store bought egg with me. I needed two eggs, so I used one from my chickens and the store egg.

Can you guess which is which? There IS a difference !!!!

eggs.jpg

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Wow...one of those hens need a drug test. :woohoo:
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    We have hens as well, so I know exactly which is the store bought egg. Keep in mind that store bought eggs are much much older than your eggs. The difference in color is because of the free ranging and other care your hens get. The shape of the yolk is probably more due to the age of the egg.

We feed ours organic also. How do you get the hens back in their coop area after you let them out? Once ours are out, they're out til the end of the day when they go back in their own.

What kind do you have? We started with 7 and are down to 5 after a hawk attack last summer. We have 2 buff orpingtons, a black star, an astralorp (sp?), and either a barred rock or a dominique. Those two looked alike and I was never sure which was which breed.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Hi Gwen,

My hens are called Production Reds. They're primarily Rhode Island Reds with some Leghorn thrown in for better egg production. I believe they are considered their own breed now.

Mine are pretty tame. I can herd them back to their coop by using a broom that I hold out from side to side to keep them on track and walking forward to keep them moving. It works MOST of the time. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious