Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poulet et Mandarines à Mourir Pour (long)

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Thanks Rebecca, I'm happy I cooked both birds so I have that much more left over. I will probably slice them up and save for sandwiches. I hope at least some makes it to the freezer. ;)

Blair

• blair, those look great ....i love roasting chickens at high temps in the 'french' style.. .simple with butter and S/P, maybe a little lemon in the cavity, then just baste every 15 minutes with the butter/pan drippings.. . you get very crispy skin that way ...but i do them in the 425 - 450 range. .. .very juicy and crispy...

i think i'd try prepping them just like you did (looks great) but roast at the higher temps, see how the results are ... .

i love whole roasted chickens like that!!! thanks for sharing!!
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Molly, They are the first whole birds I have egged but not the last. When I started basting with the pan drippings all the brown bits had a toasted flavor to add, sort of like the caramel you make from melted sugar for a flan and there was a definite presence of tangerine oils in the melted butter. I kept stirring the drippings with my basting brush to pick up all the goodies and that helped with the color. The color is even better in person.

Have a great day my friend,

Blair

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Wow Blair. What a chickie cook. :P

You are the man. ;)
  • Gator Bait

Hi Max

Thanks, I was playing this by ear so to speak and figured a slower cook might let my flavors infuse better. I was also working around the hot spots on my medium egg. There are times a LBGE would be nice. The package for the birds said 350º and I haven't roasted a whole chicken in so long I wasn't one to argue. Your hi temp method sounds interesting, I would have to put balls of foil under the drip pan and maybe add a little white wine so the drippings didn't burn but that is do-able. I would be interested in your results should you ever try it.

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thank you Tim, the only thing I might have changed is the name! My spell checker is having a fit over it. :lol:

Blair

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Wow!! Great post Blair
    That chicken looks and sounds amazing :)

Shane
  • blair,

here is the link to my chicken roasting .. i'll bet if you stood your birds you could fit them in the medium very easily .. .. and using a pan to hold them, set on the grid over the plate setter, will take care of your scorching issue. .. should all work just fine with the glaze you made. .. .and i agree, if the pan starts looking a tad dry, a little white wine and/or chicken stock will take care of that. ..

good stuff!!!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=207762&catid=1
  • Looks great Blair, very creative. Thanks for the lesson on Herbes de Province.

Doug
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Max, that looks awesome! I have bookmarked this for future reference. Major drool factor there! I am surprised the portion of the bird up in the dome doesn't get any darker but I guess the pan helps shield it. Thanks again.

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thank you Shane, it kept me out of trouble for the afternoon and was well worth the effort and time. The price was right too. ;)

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Doug, creativity isn't always a good thing when I am cooking! Hahaha, I have had my share that never got posted. ;)

The beauty of the Herbs de Provence is that, as I understand it, they can vary from one region to another. My readings on the web have shown that they are the product of what was available locally. If you lived half way up the slopes of the Alp's you would have a different set of herbs to work with then if you say lived on a sunny hillside on the Mediterranean. My mix has a fragrance that I find as pleasing as any floral bouquet. I need to make some more, this cook killed my stash. :)

Blair

• 2Fategghead
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • no problem blair, i bookmarked yours too!! ... i think a combination of my technique with your application of ingredients would be really really good!!
  • Gator Bait

Hahahaha, your getting me drooling all over again and I just remembered I have to shoot in town and have a few routine FASTING blood tests done. Damn this diabetes! :laugh:

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thank you Cpt'n, I hope the weather up your way is being kind to you.

Blair

• Very nice Blair - thanks for taking the time for the pictorial documentation and sharing
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Great job, Blair.

I definitely bookmarked that one for my next chicken roast :woohoo:
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Fantastic pictures and a great narrative. The chicken looks wonderful. :laugh:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Gator Bait

Thank you Frank, I like a detailed post and sometimes wonder if I get carried away. I never let that stop me. :)

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thank you Clark, I always pray that my cooks come out as well for others as they have (or have not, lol) for me. That is one reason why I try to provide as many details as I can, that and I bookmark my own post in their own folder so I don't have to make redundant recipe files. ;)

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Dave, I don't post as many cooks as I would like so when I do I try to make them worth the effort. :)

Blair

• bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Blair, very inspiring and quite resourceful! I liked the thought of using the honey. (for obvious reasons re:my handle) You might try getting a jar of local honey and let it crystalize, then use it as a spread mixed with spices and any citrus zest. Randy
  • Gator Bait
    Thanks Randy, I love honey and use it when ever I can get away with it. I'm diabetic so that is not near as often as I would like. Our local Orange Blossom honey is wonderful stuff but getting pricey. I love to use honey on my baby back ribs when I foil them. I have been thinking of doing ribs some day soon, I will post when I do.

Do you keep bees? I always wanted to, it looks like a great arrangement with an amazing little critter. I learned years ago that bees, wasps and hornets are not out to sting me and if I stay calm around them chances are they will do the same and we get along just fine.

You spread of crystallized honey sounds wonderful! Someone could really get creative with that, your only limited by your imagination.

Blair
  • 2Fategghead
    I like a detailed post myself.

I appreciate yours. ;)
  • Gator Bait
    Thanks you Tim, I see a lot of posts that I wish had more "meat" to them. I bookmark my own posts, that way I have a record of what I did right or wrong and that is my recipe file. I have a folder in my favorites under "Recipes" called "My Cooks" and that is all it is. It contains the good, bad and the ugly. (sorry, couldn't resist, lol).

I can understand if you have a good steak for dinner and are feeling guilty for not having posted for awhile. There isn't always a lot to say about it. When I am thinking outside the box I tend to keep my camera handy, if it turns out good I have my photos for what I hope is a good post. :)

There are others here that are not afraid to put the time into a post and I appreciate them.

Blair
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Blair, Yes I keep bees. (avocation not vocation)Any local honey would work, and what you are trying to find is raw honey because it has not been heated and therefore would have the characteristics you're lokking for. As a side note "true" Tupelo honey is a type that some diabetics are allowd to use because of the higher fructose than glucose content. If you have trouble find either of these let me know, I can take care of you. Randy
  • Gator Bait

Thank you for the information and offer of help, Randy. I should be able to find them around here. That is very interesting about Tupelo Honey, I always knew it was a great Van Morrison album and song. :)

Blair
  • Gator Bait

Incredible leftovers! :cheer:

Blair