Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does Lamb Taste Like Chicken??

Mac  in NC
Mac in NC Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

That's usually the answer I get when I ask someone what an unknown piece of meat tastes like. I'm sure lamb doesn't taste like chicken but is it similiar to any other red meat? I'm interested in giving it a try but my wife has already shunned her nose up at the idea. She's not into rare cooked meat and frankly, neither am I. I'd hate to buy a rack without having an idea what the outcome may be. Can it be prepared to at least medium with good results?[p]Mac

Comments

• Mac in NC ,
    Mac, Mac, Mac. Typically lamb is prepared relatively well done. I think people are beginning to realize it doesn't have to be done that way. Rack of lamb is pretty expensive, so you might try a boneless leg from Sams first. Last time I was there, a boneless leg (3-4 meals) was around $14 while two racks (1 meal) was $18. Leg of lamb is hard to over cook. It is relatively dark meat and very moist and tender. You can cook it pretty much as done as you want, and it should be good. I've done them both tied up in a string bag and opened up and laid flat on the grill. Both ways turn out super. But to answer your original question, no it doesn't taste like chicken. It tastes like lamb. It is a different flavor and very good flavor too. I say go for a leg of lamb, cook it to whatever doneness your wife likes and then see if you guys like it.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mac in NC ,
    No, it doesn't taste like chicken at all. Chicken is dull, compared to lamb. It isn't mild, it is full flavored. Different. As long as it is fresh, and not overcooked, it is most excellent. Med rare to medium is not a problem, only a mental stumbling block for some people. Lamb in general is a stumbling block for a lot of people. They never had it growing up, so it must not be any good...Right? LOL! Maybe you could buy some nice chops, and just cook up $5-$10 worth of samplers and see if you like the flavor of it?[p]Unless you were like some of us, and you had it regular while you were growing up... you know that it is way better than a lot of dull products out there.[p]Have you ever tried Gyros? My guess is, you like the Gyros if you have tried it. The lamb would fall into the same category. There is lamb in Gyros. [p]I'm thinking lamb shanks cooked all day with veggies and a tomato based sauce..... mouth watering. Leg of lamb baked with garlic, grilled lamb chops...[p]Don't overcook it! That will make it tough and "gamey."[p]Mike (Korfiatis) in MN

• The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks Doug. Your pistachio encrusted lamb recipe got me curious. I've got a whole bag of them nuts in the cupboard and keep forgetting about 'em. I'll see if I can convince Tina to give it a try. [p]Mac

• Mike in MN,[p]I definitely do like gyros so I'll have to give lamb a shot. The $10.00 worth of samplers is a great idea! I'll see if I can pick up a rack or a leg tomorrow. [p]By the way, maybe you can answer two quick questions about gyros. [p](1) Is it pronounced "jeyerow" or "hero"? I've heard folks around here say it both ways. I say "jeyerow"; am I right?

(2) How do they make that big chunk of meat that the slices are cut off? [p]Clueless in N.C.[p]Mac

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Mac in NC ,[p]yee-row
  • Mac in NC ,
    ditto what the others said. ..keep it simple the first time though, so you are tasting the meat and not the crusting or other stuff you put on it. .. . nature boy has a simple recipe for rack of lamb on his web site (www.dizzypigbbq.com), just buy one rack and eat em as an appetizer. . .and like other said boneless leg with garlic is great too. ..you can just grill it direct if you want turning often. ..[p]one thing others didn't say, if you go with a leg of lamb, there is a fair amount of fat dripping so you will get flare ups and charring if you aren't careful. ...go with a raised grid or do a leg indirect to avoid the problem. . .[p]enjoy, once you've tried it, i'll bet you like it. ..and don't forget to buy a jar of green mint jelly. . .serve it on the side on your plate. ..don't know why, but its almost tradition to serve lamb with mint jelly. . .

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Mac in NC ,
    I love lamb, and I agree with the others. Not like chicken. I would even go so far as to say it is an acquired taste, which is why some people drown it in mint jelly.[p]My guess is you'll like it, and your wife won't. I would definitely suggest the rack of lamb over the leg, as I think it is a milder flavor. Would hate to see the poor piece of meat get cooked to medium, but whatever it takes to make the wife happy! Nature Babe feels the same way about meat as your wife, so I know where you are comin from![p]Go for it! Have a super day
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mac in NC ,
    We pronunce it Yare-ohs and roll the R. (The Yare rhymes with "tear" as in "tear off a chunk of meat.")[p]The gyros meat is made with ground lamb, possibly ground beef, oregano, garlic, onion, and whatever the cook adds to make it special. After combining the ingredients, they form the meat and freeze it. You can buy it in the cone (with a tube through the center to accomodate a skewer, or you can buy it in about a 5# piece. (cake pan size) This is also frozen. When we buy it like the cake pan style, you can slice it off after it partially thaws into slices about 1/4" - 1/2" thick and grill. The trick to grilling is extreme caution as the flare ups can be amazing. There is a lot of dripping and flaring, so they prefer to be constantly flipped. You cannot walk away from the grill for anything... even getting a cold one can result in burned Gyros.[p]The meat is inexpensive, and readily available in ethnic grocery stores frozen food section. You can rent the vertical cookers. We use a homemade cooker made with an old rotisserie setup and one of those ceramic sunburst heaters (you know, like you use in the fish house for ice fishing) [p]One thing that hasn't been mentioned.... the best condiment to lamb or Gyros is lemon. You have to put a squeeze of fresh lemon on the meat, and of course raw onions and tomatoes.... The Tatziki sauce is optional.[p]Mike in MN

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Nature Boy,
    I'm cooking frenched rack of lamb today using your recipe and it is great.We have cooked this about 7 or 8 times now and I like it better each time.
    Larry

• Mike in MN,[p]That tatziki sauce has got to be one of the greatest veggie dips of all time! Even better than ranch dressing! We always have a container in the fridege. [p]Thanks for the lesson on gyros. Lots of interesting facts learned. I've never heard it pronounced "yare-oh" but then again, I can think of only one true Greek restaurant in our city and I have yet to visit. The only gyro I ever had was at a fast food restaurant called Miami Subs. I'll be sure to pronounce it correctly from now on. [p]Great weekend to ya' Mike,
    Mac