Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen Help Please

Options
LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Used thermapen for steak last night (first time - usually do hot tub), and WOW, temps varied from 114 to 140 at different locations in steak even when cooking indirect. Was I hitting fat for the high temps?

Information on how to properly take temps would be appreciated.

BTW, the 114 was actually correct, as I did a reverse T-Rex, smoked with Mesquite indirect for about 45 minutes, low temp, and then 1:15 on each side at about 600 F, and ended up having to put it back on because still undercooked in center. Nothing was 140 on the interior for sure....but it was danged tasty!!!!!!!

Anyway, sorry long winded. Hoping folks with Thermapen experience can chime in...

BTW....I WISH THEY MADE A LEFT HANDED VERSION!!!!!!!!! YOU RIGHTIES GET ALL THE COOL TOYS!!!

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Temps will obviously be higher closer to the edges or any of the more outer areas..I go with the lowest temp I read as close the center as I can get..
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Depending upon the thickness of the steak, I sometimes have to come at it from the side, instead of poking in from the top. If I don't, I end up getting a false high reading, because I've gone through the middle, and am actually reading the temperature from the bottom 1/3 to 1/4 of the steak.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)