Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brats on the EGG

kilo
kilo Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are getting great weather in Iowa today, sunny and 60. Doing brats, any recommendations on time and temp?
Thanks!

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    kilo,[p]I do mine different than the "traditional" way. Maybe someone who does them that way can chime in and explain WHY you're sposed ta boil the heck out of them (even though it *is* in beer) THEN throw them on the grill. Never could figger that out, though I admit I've never tried them that way. Seems like you're just boiling a lot of the flavor away.[p]My technique - use a lower temp, I'd say in the 275° - 300° range. I do mine direct and a raised grill might come in handy, though I don't use one. When doing them this way, I go for a longer cook in order to render off a lot of the fat. I don't prick tham or anything. Just keep an eye on them and watch for flare-ups from the fat.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    kilo,
    Ahhhhhhh, brats! Love em. My method-simmer in water for about 20 minutes then throw on the grill and cook untill brown with nice grill marks. Dont poke em. Dont burn em. Dont over cook em. This method keeps them juciy. I have a low fire but spread out. Turn often. About 30-40 minutes on the grill and wa-la, time to eat. Slice em and put tooth picks in for a great easy to eat treat. Ive grilled with a little pecan smoke for added flavor. You can keep brats warm in a pan with onions and beer to keep them from drying out and getting wrinkled. This is a fun food.[p]Clay Q

• Pakak,
    I prefer the boiled in dark beer with onions, garlic, and a bay leaf or two. That's not boiled to death (or boiled all night until the liquid is gone ;>) Then throw them on the grill to add some finishing marks and smoke. The grill temp shouldn't be too high (under 325°- 350°) and keep them moving around (translation.... don't throw them on and walk away) [p]Don't allow them to split, or use a fork to stab holes in them when flipping. That is a waste of flavor. In fact, nothing on the grill should ever be stabbed to flip.[p]The grilling portion doesn't take too long. When they take on a nice dark color, and there are some grill marks they are good to go. [p]As long as you have the grill going, why not butter and toast the buns?[p]Mike in MN

• kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Pakak,
    I like the sound of your way. Long long do cook them for and are they still moist?[p]Thanks!

• kilo,
    Slow cooked Brats 2 nights ago and they were awesome.
    Cut up a yellow onion and put it in a 9" disposable
    foil cake pan along with 2 cloves garlic (minced) and
    3/4 stick of margarine or butter. Put this on the egg (raised grate)
    at 250 degrees until onions were almost translucent.
    Add a bottle of beer. Then add 5 brats. About every 20 minutes
    or so, spin the brats. They look grey when they are
    starting to cook. After they were fully cooked (couple
    of hours), I moved them to the grill (right around the pan-
    there's enough room on a small). Added a whole, drained bag of
    sauerkraut to the beer/onions. Once brats were browned,
    I split them down the middle so they would lay flat (inside
    up), topped with cheddar and closed the dome until melted.[p]Served them with brown deli mustard on hoagie roll.
    They were the best yet. Give it a try sometime.[p]-wingnut

• Pakak
    Mike in MN,[p]"or boiled all night until the liquid is gone ;>"[p]Oh boy, I left myself wide open for that, didn't I? LOL[p]Still, I don't see the advantage of boiling beforehand. Guess I'll just have to try it sometime.
  • Pakak
    kilo,[p]How long? Til they're done! Personally, I like mine a little on the drier side but cook enough of them so you can sample as ya go, to pull them off when juicier. :)
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    kilo,[p]growin up in the midwest we ate the old fashioned kind of hot dogs that had a casing, then oscar meyer or some other genious came up with a caseless hotdog. when your a kid the casings didn't do mutch so the new and improved hotdog was pretty good. My dad showed me how to cook a brat on the grill, seared well, cooked thru, and maybe a little burned. he nevered worried about poking a hole he just kinda waited till they popped on thier own. gotta kinda watch out for that, they kinda get a hot stream of stuff shooting all different directions. When a hunting buddy invited me up to his cabin and made brats, that he bragged about everbody just loving. Well first he boiled them in beer and onions then threw them on a grill to finish. that had to be the worst brat i've ever had. mushy, no texture and whatever else he boiled them in gave it a sickening flavor. I'll take my brat the old fashioned way. grilled, lightly toasted bun, yellow mustard, and kraut. no sense in getting fancy.jmo[p]Scott

• Pakak,
    I couldn't believe it when that line came to me...I was feeling pretty smart...at your expense. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. ;>) [p]The boiling Brats in DARK beer, onions, & garlic gives them a different flavor.... kinda like using plain salt and pepper or Dizzy Dust to season vegetables... either seasoning will work, it's just which would you prefer? And I usually buy Kielbasa's, rather than Brats because they have better flavor. IMHO.[p]Nice talking to ya, and I hope the house aired out OK... probably not yet though. [p]Mike in MN