Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp Alfredo

Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Kinda sorta done on the egg - the shrimps were cooked out there. The rest was done on the cooktop.

Fresh made pasta rolled out to a #4 on the KA rollers. Nothing but flour, salt, and eggs.

The sauce was made by cooking down 1/2 a finely chopped onion, 6 large cloves of garlic (minced), 1/2 cup shrimp stock, a couple pats of butter, some heavy cream, salt, pepper, grated pecorino romano, chopped scallions, a pinch of corn starch, salt, pepper, and crushed reds as a garnish. Added the cooked shrimp to the sauce, tossed to combine and ladled over the pasta.

Good eats.

ShrimpAlfredo.jpg

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Don't personally eat many meals of that type..but that looks pretty dam good..
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Food looks great Rod. Like Wess said I don't eat much food like that but, should. Bet the noodles were great as well as the rest. :P
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Does shrimp alfredo cure hangovers?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Looks pretty lame. Hope the kids ate it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    Nope, but a little nap during the race and a 2nd place finish by Smoke helped me feel a little better.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    EGG or no EGG, that looks tasty. Now I am hungry for dinner.

Bad thing for me, pasta is a no-no. I can't say no to seconds and I am trying to lose weight.

gary
  • Fidel
    better than that plate of goat puke you tried to pass off as a "meal" the other night.

If you can't afford any better meat than the legs the butcher was throwing out let me know and I'll see if I can help you out a little.
  • Fidel
    Thanks Gary. That's what I like about making my own - if you only make enough for a couple servings there are no seconds or leftovers. And there is no comparison to fresh pasta. From raw ingredients into the boiling water in ten minutes. Really good stuff.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    The pasta is what got me,, I gotta try to make it sometime but the kitchen would look like Steve was here
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Looks awesome....great cook. B)
  • Tweety
    Tweety Posts: 455
    Oh my gosh, that looks like something from a magazine. Shrimp and pasta 2 of my favorite foods. Looks delicious!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Which plate of goat puke do you refer to? I often cook goat puke. Never looks as bad as what you just posted though

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    That looks really good, egg or not! Pasta from scatch just reminds me of going back to the old neighborhood. Thanks for the memories.

fc
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Looks DELISH! I was watching Julia Child make pasta the other day.Seemed like a PITA to me.She stated that once you have tasted homemade pasta the work is MORE than worth it.Your thoughts??? Is it REALLY THAT much better.I'm guessin it is or you would'nt have done it. ;)
  • That looks awesome Fidel. Have been itching to get some of those pasta attachments for our Kitchen Aid mixer as well and your pics have me envious. Thanks for sharing!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    You know. You have been awful mean to Fidel lately. not very friendly

Of course, if it's some kind of inside joke between you too and everything is actually fine, well then it's still not nice because I wasn't in on it. :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Just plain rude fidel. I remember when things were so much friendlier here..
    It was a Tuesday I think. Don't remember exactly. June 8th. 2005. Maybe 2006
  • Sounds soooo gooooodddddd :)

but you aren't helping with diet :blink:
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Rod I do eat stuff like that and it looks great!! Made it ALL in the Egg last year using a wok. Don't let Steve's rudness get to you. He's probably been drinking again and teed off about living in an ice cube!! :laugh:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    To make that pasta what kind of machine do you use?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    That's a great lookin meal. Fresh pasta is always nice and isn't tough to make at all. I've got an old school roller commercial one that was used in a restaurant. thing must weigh about 30 lbs... haha.

stike wrote:
    Just plain rude fidel. I remember when things were so much friendlier here..
    It was a Tuesday I think. Don't remember exactly. June 8th. 2005. Maybe 2006

would you like a bigger spoon to stir the pot with :laugh: :woohoo: ;)
    context is important :)
  • stike
    i know, i know.

but, gee, come on.
    why do some get to stir it, but we reasonable people always have to be "reasonable"?

i'm sick of folks being able to pounce on other for fabled transgressions, but 'we' always have to play nice, type a nice thought out response, try to hear them out, etc.

when do i get to be a ranting irrational humorless barking mad harpy? :laugh:
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Decadent Fidel........but I like that! :laugh:
  • Fidel
    stike wrote:

when do i get to be a ranting irrational humorless barking mad harpy? :

every day of your life
  • Fidel
    What work?

You take some flour, a little salt, and a few eggs. Mix them to combine then let the roller do the kneading for you. Honestly 10 minutes from cracking the eggs until I was dropping pasta into the water. Maybe less time, I didn't check the time.

Takes less time and about 5% the cost of going to the store to purchase their "fresh" refrigerated pasta, and the flavor and texture is just so much better. You can control the thickness and consistency to your own preferences.
  • Fidel
    kitchen aid stand mixer with the three piece pasta roller/cutter kit, and a lot of advice from a terrific cook who has given me a number of pointers and recipes over the past few years.
  • Fidel
    Honestly, the way we put together the sauce it wasn't as rich as one might expect. By using a slurry of stock and corn starch we got the thickening and texture of the cream without all the extra saturated fat.

Total amount of cream in the dish was less than 1/4 cup. The flavor and texture were spot on though.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    stike wrote:
    i know, i know.

but, gee, come on.
    why do some get to stir it, but we reasonable people always have to be "reasonable"?

i'm sick of folks being able to pounce on other for fabled transgressions, but 'we' always have to play nice, type a nice thought out response, try to hear them out, etc.

when do i get to be a ranting irrational humorless barking mad harpy? :laugh:

that must have made you feel slightly better ;-)
    context is important :)
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    That looks excellent
    Homemade pasta is certainly worth the "work" :)

Shane
  • stike
    i lob them to you, and you still only swing half way :laugh: