Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Liveoak Tree - coming down

Options
James
James Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a big liveoak tree in my front yard, which I am going to get rid of. [p]Has anyone ever used Liveoak wood for cooking? Is it any good?[p]

Comments

• James,
    Oak isn't considered to be one of the holy grails of cooking woods, but it will provide good heat. When harvesting cooking wood (for my Weber Smokey Mountain), i like to cut the trunk into two inch thick discs, then after the wood has seasoned, i use a hatchet to 'split' the two inch thick disk into chunks. I don't have a splitter, so this method seems to work best for me.

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    James,
    I think you'd be very surprised at the number of South Texas barbecues that are done with nothing but Live Oak. Being raised in the Panhandle of Texas, I would never have believed it. However, after living in San Antonio since 1991, I can tell you that there are plenty of folks who would swear by it. [p]I wouldn't be so hasty as to get rid of all of it. I'd keep some and sort of experiment with it as it ages. It's strong, but I've sure eaten some very good brisket cooked on nothing but Live Oak.[p]It also makes some really good tool handles![p]Mike

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    James,
    Chunk some up and let it dry and if you mix it with some hickory and some apple you could have the holy trinity of smoke for pork...lol.[p]
    Ever thought of havng a portable mill come out and slice up your tree for lumber?

• Banker John
    Options
    James,
    Live Oak, when properly seasoned, is a fantastic wood for fuel and smoking. In fact, I have 2 butts that I started about 40 minutes ago, in preparation for Pulled Prok tomorrow @ 6pm[p]Banker John