Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

New Meat Slicer - got after yesterday

Iowa State EggerIowa State Egger Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hope all is well for everyone. It has been a while since I have posted, things have been crazy it seems. I still make sure I find time to fire up the BGE three of four times per week, but I guess I haven't done anything that has seemed "post worthy," even though that is not the right attitude.

I got upset earlier this week at my local grocery store. I have been buying a lot of deli meats for lunches, and when the prices went above 6 bucks per pound, I decided I was going to try my own meats. I bought a $50 meat slicer from Sam's, and then a bunch of meat. I figure if I like the slicer I can always upgrade.

I guess I have been working too much when my oldest says he wants to be like me and goes into the office and gets on the computer:

100_0402.jpg

Here are five turkey breast on the XL. Two of them were bone in, and the other three boneless. I flavored them all different to try to get some variety. I didn't watch the temp too close, but I kept it under 250 and I suppose they were on there for five or six hours. I used Hickory Chucks and Cherry Chips:

100_0404.jpg

Good smoke shot:

100_0407.jpg

I fired up the large as well. The store had a sale on pork loin. So, I cut some butterfly chops off of it and this is what was left. Threw it on over Mesquite Chucks and kept the dome under 250:

100_0406.jpg

Finally, my two young boys love ham so I put used the small as well. Hickory for smoke, and again I kept the dome under 250:

100_0403.jpg

Here on the finished shots:

100_0409.jpg

100_0411.jpg

100_0408.jpg

100_0412.jpg

It got kind of late and I got into the beer, so I didn't think it was a good time to debut the slicer. I wrapped everything in tin foil and put it in the fridge over night. I think they thought they did most of the work:

100_0415.jpg

After church this morning we had a slicing party. I took a lot longer than I would have guessed:

100_0418.jpg

Here are some of the finished product:

100_0421.jpg

My wife doesn't understand the I cooked so you clean theory, so it is still sitting on the counter.

100_0423.jpg

We got everything put into bags and in the freezer. Lunch meat should not be a problem for the next several months!

Comments